Craft behavioural and competency-based questions and interview candidates during this two-day comprehensive workshop. Please scroll down for more information.
How would you like to have staff who not only performs well, is motivated and fits into the team? It starts with hiring the right person and this requires effective interviewing and selection skills from the interviewer. Hiring a misfit can be very expensive and detrimental to the organization. Instead of using gut feeling, a behavioural-based approach can minimize the risk of hiring the wrong person.
In this programme, participants will learn how to design behavioural-based questions to assess candidates effectively.
(Face-to-face training at our hotel venues which are certified SG Clean. We will continue to adopt a small class size for all our courses)
In this two-day programme, participants will be able to:
• Understand the principles and benefits of using a structured approach in selection interviews
• Understand what competencies are and benefits of using competency-based questions at interviews
• Apply competency-based questions at interviews
• Plan relevant interview questions in line with the organisation’s job descriptions, vision, mission and values
• Apply the 5 steps of a structured interview process
• Get the most out of interviews by using behavioural-based questions and STAR (Situation/Task, Action, Results) Technique
• Select the appropriate methods for assessment of candidates
• Handle phone interviews and panel interviews
• Handle challenging candidates and questions from them
• Use different ways to assess accuracy of answers
• Take appropriate follow up actions after the interview
• Project a professional image for self and organization
To encourage transfer of learning in the workplace environment, the programme incorporates interactive discussions, exercises, skill practices and videos.
Day 1 - addresses the mindset and cognitive knowledge
• Importance of hiring the right candidate and costs of a mis-hire
• What makes a right fit between candidate and the job
• Understand what makes up job competencies and design competency-based questions at interviews
• Design behavioural-based questions based on the organisation’s job and organizational requirements
• Planning before the interview, one-on-one versus panel interview
• The 5 steps in the interview process
• Skills and Art of Effective Listening
• Probing to get the most out of interviews through STAR technique
• Use of various methods to increase validity in assessment of candidates (eg role play, exercises, tests, demonstration etc)
Benefits of Programme
• Attract candidates to join the organisation through projecting a professional and positive organizational image
• Increase staff retention rate by first select the right candidates that fit the job, team and organization
• Maximise productivity and reduce mis-hire costs
Day 2 - practical applications and sharing
• Market the organisation’s brand in relation to the needs of different generations
• Handling challenging candidates and anticipating possible questions from them
• Apply the 5 steps of Interview through intensive skill practice, as interviewer, candidate and observer. Feedback and checklist are provided to ensure effective skills application
• Adherence to guidelines from Tripartite Alliance of Fair and Progressive Employment Practices
• Handling phone interviews
• Do’s and Don’ts during interviews
• Different ways to assess accuracy of answers
• Settling-in of new hires through onboarding programme, feedback and training
• Individual feedback on interview questions designed
Who should attend
• Non-HR Directors.
• Line Managers and supervisors.
• HR and non-HR officers, executives and assistants.
• Employees required to interview on a regular basis and have the responsibility for recruiting staff.
Susan Fong brings with her more than 20 years of working experience in the field of Human Resource Management and Development. Her experience spans across industries like telecommunications, market research, information technology and healthcare. She was holding managerial positions in various organisations and her last position was Senior Manager, Learning and Development of a local large organisation.
Susan conducts various programmes, ranging from personal development to leadership. She has conducted programmes on 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Leadership Development, Competency-Based Interview and teambuilding. She is also certified as a DISC Behavioural Consultant, NLP Practitioner and WSQ-ESS programme facilitator.
Having been in the role of a Senior Human Resource Practitioner with management responsibilities, Susan has leadership and facilitation experience. As such, she is able to share and impart her knowledge and experience in areas like interviewing skills, performance management and people management. She has conducted numerous training sessions for managers and executives in organisations such as ACNielsen Research, Tan Tock Seng Hospital and Parkway Health. Her passion lies in being able to contribute to improving the competencies of her participants through interactive sessions. She firmly believes that competent people make a big and positive difference to the organisation.
Susan holds a Bachelor of Business in Business Administration (Distinction Award) and also a Graduate Diploma in Personnel Management (Bronze Award). She is also certified in Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA).
• 15 & 16 December 2022 (16th Run) - Confirmed
• 14 & 15 March 2023 (17th Run)
Duration / Venue
• Two days
• 9 am to 5.30 pm
• Sheraton Towers Singapore
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 880
• SSG/Skills Future Reference TGS-2019502413.
• For Company Sponsored - Net Payable Fee After SSG Training Grant: S$852
• For Self-Sponsored - SkillsFuture Credit Can Be Used (Singaporeans aged 25 and above).
• UTAP Funding is available for NTUC Union Members (Enhanced UTAP capped at $500 per year, starting from 1 July 2020 to 31 December 2022 for aged 40 years and above).
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Lunch will be provided
Past Participants' Comments
• "The advice, tips and role play were very useful. Susan (Trainer) was very engaging, professional and friendly. Thanks for the 2 days of training!" - Yap Wei Beng, National Cancer Centre Singapore
• "Susan was very engaging and gave us a lot of real life and relevant examples. A lot of learning and sharing with one another. Good role plays and immersive experience. Would definitely recommend it to anybody interested in improving their interview skills" - Ang Ching Siang, Training Vision Institute
• "The trainer is very generous in sharing her experiences and she offered very solid advice and tips!" - Doreen Yang
• "It was great!" Natalie Wee, CapitaLand Investment Limited
• "Trainer is very encouraging, engaged and motivating to keep the class in good discussion" - Jessica Tok, Watsons Personal Care Stores Pte Ltd
• "The course has been very beneficial to me and the advices and tips are very useful for me to use when conducting interviews" - Nurul Ashikin Binte Mohamed Yunos, Bulgari South Asian Operations Pte Ltd
• "Susan is a candid & experienced trainer. She is able to relate to the participant's situation. Thanks for providing me insights on new perspectives to conduct interviews"
• "It was really useful for me as it made me understand how to ask better questions and getting better answers related to the competency of the role" - Arvin Loh, Neo Performance Materials (Singapore) Pte Ltd
• "Fruitful and effective. It is very structured and the trainer was able to convey the message clearly!"
• "The trainer made the attempts to give her feedback to each role play and advised how she can improve which helps us in the experiential learning. Susan is very experienced in the subject matter and was encouraging which made the learning more fruitful"
• "Susan is such an excellent trainer! She makes the class/workshop very interesting and we were able to learn the skills through presentations in role play. Loves attending her classes" - Joan Chua, Frasers Property Corporate Services Pte Ltd
• "Very insightful and refreshing! The activities were fantastic in applying and retaining our learning"
• "The behavioral questions were very interesting to allow the candidates to share more about their experience"
• "The training program has allowed me to have an in depth understanding of interviewing techniques!"
• "Overall the program is very interactive. Trainer is very well-informed and knowledgeable"
• "Great program. Trainer has vast recruitment knowledge to share during training"
• "Practical and easy to apply!"
• "Susan is a very interactive trainer. Very engaging"
• "Susan is really approachable and she is always thinking of a way to put the point in a way that could be easily understood. She is also very open to give advices. I will definitely register for any course by Susan! "
• "Good variation of listening / watching videos / group discussions / role play. Love the session! Susan is great!"
• "Well placed. Useful and very relevant. Easy to understand."
• "To have colleagues attend together. Able to share & useful for role play!" - Anjana, National University of Singapore (NUS)
• "Very informative, got to experience new things, learnt how to conduct a effective interview session"
• "Excellent trainer, rich in information!"
Past Participant Organisations
• A*STAR - Science and Engineering Institutes, Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore, Agency for Integrated Care Pte Ltd, Azbil Singapore Pte Ltd
• Building and Construction Authority, Bulgari South Asian Operations Pte Ltd, BW Maritime Pte Ltd
• CapitaLand Retail Management Pte Ltd, Chr. Hansen Singapore Pte Ltd, Casino Regulatory Authority, Charles Monat Associates Pte Ltd, Citystategroup Pte Ltd, Community Psychology Hub, CapitaLand Investment Limited, CapitaLand Shared Services Ptd Ltd, Changi Airport Group (Singapore) Pte Ltd
• Digicel Singapore, Dentons Rodyk & Davidson LLP, Dematic Pte Ltd
• Edwards Lifesciences (Singapore) Pte Ltd, E M Services Pte Ltd, Electronics & Engineering Pte Ltd, Eu Yan Sang International Ltd, Eng Kong Container Agencies (Pte) Ltd
• Fluke South East Asia Pte Ltd, FWD Singapore Pte Ltd, Frasers Property Corporate Services Pte Ltd
• German Institute of Science and Technology - TUM Asia Pte Ltd, GLP Pte Ltd, Gladiolus Place, Groz-Beckert East Asia LLP
• Hotel Miramar Singapore, HGST Singapore Pte Ltd, Hogarth Worldwide Pte Ltd
• Island Aviation Services Limited, I.Dental Invisible Braces Pte Ltd, Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants, Institute of Materials Research & Engineering (IMRE) A*STAR Research Entities, ITE College East – School of Business and Services, IPI, ICD Security Solutions
• Jet Aviation (Asia Pacific) Pte Ltd, JERA Global Markets Pte Ltd, Jurong Engineering Limited
• LVMH Fragrances & Cosmetics (S) Pte Ltd, Lane Crawford (Singapore) Pte Ltd, LEGO Singapore Pte Ltd
• Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura, Methodist Girls' School, Multitest Electronic Systems (Asia), Murata Electronics Singapore (Pte) Ltd, Ministry of Home Affairs, MSI Global Pte Ltd, MOL Chemical Tankers Pte Ltd
• National Library Board, National Institute of Education, NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University Polyclinics, NUS - Institute of Systems Science, Neo Performance Materials (Singapore) Pte Ltd, National University of Singapore, Nikkei Group Asia, National Cancer Centre Singapore
• Omron Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• PSA Corporation Limited, PAP Community Foundation, PERSOLKELLY Pte Ltd, PrimeStaff Management Services Pte Ltd, Pacific International Lines Pte Ltd, PGIM Singapore
• Rohde & Schwarz Regional HQ Singapore Pte Ltd, Rakuten Asia Pte Ltd, Republic Polytechnic
• SGS Testing & Control Services Singapore Pte Ltd, Singapore Centre for Environmental Life Sciences Engineering - NTU, Singapore Institute Of Technology, Singapore Institute of Management, Singapore Aero Engine Services Pte Ltd, SCSK Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Singapore Tourism Board, Singapore Valve & Fitting Pte Ltd, SBS Transit Pte Ltd, Sony Electronics Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Sims Global Commodities Pte Ltd, SMRT Trains Ltd
• Talenat Pte Ltd, Transas Marine Pacific Pte Ltd, Toyota Tsusho Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Tan Tock Seng Hospital Pte Ltd, Tokyo Electron Singapore Pte Ltd, Total Oil Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Training Vision Institute
• Urban Redevelopment Authority
• Vistra Corporate Services (SEA) Pte Ltd
• Wacker Chemicals (South Asia) Pte Ltd, Watsons Personal Care Stores Pte Ltd
• Zuellig Pharma Specialty Solutions Group Pte Ltd