The course helps craft behavioural and competency-based questions and interview candidates
How would you like to have staff who not only performs well, is motivated and fits into the team? It starts with hiring the right person and this requires effective interviewing and selection skills from the interviewer. Hiring a misfit can be very expensive and detrimental to the organization. Instead of using gut feeling, a behavioural-based approach can minimize the risk of hiring the wrong person.
In this programme, participants will learn how to design behavioural-based questions to assess candidates effectively.
In this two-day programme, participants will be able to:
• Understand the principles and benefits of using a structured approach in selection interviews
• Understand what competencies are and benefits of using competency-based questions at interviews
• Apply competency-based questions at interviews
• Plan relevant interview questions in line with the organisation’s job descriptions, vision, mission and values
• Apply the 5 steps of a structured interview process
• Get the most out of interviews by using behavioural-based questions and STAR (Situation/Task, Action, Results) Technique
• Select the appropriate methods for assessment of candidates
• Handle phone interviews and panel interviews
• Handle challenging candidates and questions from them
• Use different ways to assess accuracy of answers
• Take appropriate follow up actions after the interview
• Project a professional image for self and organization
Benefits of Programme
To encourage transfer of learning in the workplace environment, the programme incorporates interactive discussions, exercises, skill practices and videos
Day 1 - addresses the mindset and cognitive knowledge
• Importance of hiring the right candidate and costs of a mis-hire
• What makes a right fit between candidate and the job
• Understand what makes up job competencies and design competency-based questions at interviews
• Design behavioural-based questions based on the organisation’s job and organizational requirements
• Planning before the interview, one-on-one versus panel interview
• The 5 steps in the interview process
• Skills and Art of Effective Listening
• Probing to get the most out of interviews through STAR technique
• Use of various methods to increase validity in assessment of candidates (eg role play, exercises, tests, demonstration etc)
Benefits of Programme
• Attract candidates to join the organisation through projecting a professional and positive organizational image
• Increase staff retention rate by first select the right candidates that fit the job, team and organization
• Maximise productivity and reduce mis-hire costs
Day 2 - practical applications and sharing
• Market the organisation’s brand in relation to the needs of different generations
• Handling challenging candidates and anticipating possible questions from them
• Apply the 5 steps of Interview through intensive skill practice, as interviewer, candidate and observer. Feedback and checklist are provided to ensure effective skills application
• Adherence to guidelines from Tripartite Alliance of Fair and Progressive Employment Practices
• Handling phone interviews
• Do’s and Don’ts during interviews
• Different ways to assess accuracy of answers
• Settling-in of new hires through onboarding programme, feedback and training
• Individual feedback on interview questions designed
Who should attend
• Non-HR Directors.
• Line Managers and supervisors.
• HR and non-HR officers, executives and assistants.
• Employees required to interview on a regular basis and have the responsibility for recruiting staff.
Susan Fong brings with her more than 20 years of working experience in the field of Human Resource Management and Development. Her experience spans across industries like telecommunications, market research, information technology and healthcare. She was holding managerial positions in various organisations and her last position was Senior Manager, Learning and Development of a local large organisation.
Susan conducts various programmes, ranging from personal development to leadership. She has conducted programmes on 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Leadership Development, Competency-Based Interview and teambuilding. She is also certified as a DISC Behavioural Consultant, NLP Practitioner and WSQ-ESS programme facilitator.
Having been in the role of a Senior Human Resource Practitioner with management responsibilities, Susan has leadership and facilitation experience. As such, she is able to share and impart her knowledge and experience in areas like interviewing skills, performance management and people management. She has conducted numerous training sessions for managers and executives in organisations such as ACNielsen Research, Tan Tock Seng Hospital and Parkway Health. Her passion lies in being able to contribute to improving the competencies of her participants through interactive sessions. She firmly believes that competent people make a big and positive difference to the organisation.
Susan holds a Bachelor of Business in Business Administration (Distinction Award) and also a Graduate Diploma in Personnel Management (Bronze Award). She is also certified in Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA).
• Date to be advised (7th Run)
• Two days
• 9 am to 5.30 pm
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 850 for Community
• S$ 880 for Non-Subscribers
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Past Participants' Comments
• "Well placed. Useful and very relevant. Easy to understand."
• "To have colleagues attend together. Able to share & useful for role play!" - Anjana, National University of Singapore (NUS)
• "Very informative, got to experience new things, learnt how to conduct a effective interview session"
• "Excellent trainer, rich in information!"
Past Participant Organisations
• A*STAR - Science and Engineering Institutes, Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore.
• Building and Construction Authority
• CapitaLand Retail Management Pte Ltd, Chr. Hansen Singapore Pte Ltd, Casino Regulatory Authority
• Digicel Singapore
• Edwards Lifesciences (Singapore) Pte Ltd, E M Services Pte Ltd, Electronics & Engineering Pte Ltd
• Fluke South East Asia Pte Ltd
• German Institute of Science and Technology - TUM Asia Pte Ltd
• Hotel Miramar Singapore, HGST Singapore Pte Ltd
• Island Aviation Services Limited, I.Dental Invisible Braces Pte Ltd
• Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura, Methodist Girls' School, Multitest Electronic Systems (Asia)
• National Library Board, National Institute of Education, NUS Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
• Omron Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Pacific International Lines (Pte) Ltd
• Rohde & Schwarz Regional HQ Singapore Pte Ltd
• SGS Testing & Control Services Singapore Pte Ltd, Singapore Centre for Environmental Life Sciences Engineering - NTU, Singapore Institute Of Technology, Singapore Institute of Management
• Talenat Pte Ltd, Transas Marine Pacific Pte Ltd
• Urban Redevelopment Authority
• Vistra Corporate Services (SEA) Pte Ltd
• Wacker Chemicals (South Asia) Pte Ltd
• Zuellig Pharma Specialty Solutions Group Pte Ltd