HRSINGAPORE Community Discussions
Change Work Week from 5.5 Days to 6 Days
Dear HR Professionals,
Would like to check how to change the working hours from 5.5 days to 6 days work week, capped at 44 hours per week?
If we write the working hours from 8.30 to 5.30 (Monday to Saturday) - lunch break 1hr, total working hours is 48 instead of 44, is it against the Employment Act?
Yes. I think you might need to adjust the daily timing. That is what my company is doing. Scrap Saturday and adjust the daily timing. Government grant is given for this Flexi hour arrangement
The maximum working hours should no exceed 44 hours in a week or 7 hour 20 min in a 6 day work week. You may consider 0840 hours to 1700 hrs with 1 hours lunch break.
Setting the official working hours at 48 hours is against the EA. EA provides for a max of 44 hours. Beyond 44 hours, employees should be paid overtime pay.
Usually there are 2 groups of employees here.
1) For employees not covered under Part IV of the Employment Act, they can work 48 hours week, with or without compensation for the additional 4 hours.
2) For employees covered under Part IV of the Employment Act, they must be paid 4 hours overtime pay per week.
3) Maybe can consider shortening the daily working hours and/or lunch hour to maintain at 44 hours work week.
For 6 days work week and to clock 44 hours you can do the following;
1. Lunch break - 1 hour
2. Morning and Afternoon Break - 20 min each
This is our practice.
POST YOUR MESSAGE TO THE HR COMMUNITY BELOW
STILL NOT SURE? CALL US
(65) 6337-8016 or 6338-5816, 9 am to 5 pm, Mondays to Fridays
• We have the sole discretion in determining which messages or notes are appropriate, and editing and excluding any messages or notes.
• As your messages will be seen by others, please refrain from posting messages that you can be held legally liable for.
• We are committed to protecting our members from spam or unsolicited e-mail and we will remove and ban subscribers who propagate spam and those involved in harvesting activities. If you receive a spam message from a subscriber, forward the message to us.