Acquire a better practical understanding of Singapore's Employment Act and the recent changes in a day. Scroll down for more information.
The Employment Act (EA) was enacted in 1968. It is Singapore's main labour law that seeks to provide for the basic terms and working conditions for all types of employees except those employed in managerial or executive positions, seamen and domestic workers. It also seeks to ensure reasonable employment standards while balancing businesses' need to stay competitive.
A good understanding of the Employment Act will result in positive Employee Engagement and build Industrial Relations harmony by minimizing disputes between Employers and Employees or Union. As such, it shapes the responsibilities and relationship between Employers and Employees.
During the seminar, participants will be able to differentiate Contract of Service and Contract for Service, Termination and Dismissal, to identify when an employment contract is broken, to handle no show cases for recruitment, as well as the legal requirements for public holidays, sick leaves, annual leave and maternity leave.
Trainer will cover up to date changes and amendments to the Employment Act that has come into effect from April 2019 during the workshop.
(Face-to-face training at our hotel venues which are certified SG Clean)
• Acquire a better understanding of the Employment Act and Changes to the Employment Act.
• Establish the coverage of the Employment Act.
• Establish the essential clauses and illegal terms of Contract of Service.
• Identify the difference between Contract of Service and Contract for Service.
• Establish the legal contractual age in Contract of service.
• Identify when an employment contract is broken?
• Handle no show case for recruitment.
• Know whether the Sick Leave, Annual Leave and Reservist Training can be used to offset the notice period.
• Know whether an Employee resignation be rejected.
• Define Misconduct.
• Identify the difference between Termination and Dismissal.
• Know that Contract of service can or cannot restrict rights of employees to join, participate in or organise trade unions.
• Establish whether the change of Employer break the continuity of the period of employment.
• Know the requirements for salary period and time of payment.
• Identify authorised and unauthorised deduction of salary.
• Know the requirement of Rest Day and payment or work on Rest day.
• Establish the Working Hours and its limit.
• Identify the legal requirements for Public Holidays, Sick Leave and Annual Leave.
• Know the Restriction on employment of children and young persons
• Establish the Maternity Leave Entitlement
• Know what are the changes to the Employment Act
Part I : Employment Act and Who it covers
• Definition of Managers and Executives.
• Definition of Workmen.
Part II : Contract of Service
• Definition of Contract of Service.
• Starting of Contract of Service.
• Definition of Contract for Service.
• Contract of Service vs. Contract for Service.
• Notice of Termination of Contract.
• Termination of Contract without notice.
• Contract broken by Employer and Employee.
• Offsetting of Annual Leave during Notice Period.
• Taking of Sick Leave during Notice Period.
• Using Reservist Period as Notice of Termination.
• Rejection of Employee Resignation.
• Termination without notice.
• Definition of Misconduct.
• Termination vs Dismissal.
• Contract of service not to restrict rights of employees to join, participate in or organize trade unions.
• Change and Transfer of employer.
Part III : Payment of Salary
• Fixation of salary period and Time of payment.
• Authorised Deduction of Salary.
Part IV : Rest Days, Hours of Work, Holidays and Other Conditions of Service
• Rest Day.
• Hours of Work.
• Public Holidays.
• Sick Leave.
• Payment for Work on Rest Day.
• Overtime Formula.
• Annual Leave.
• Employment Dispute.
Part V : Changes to Employment Act.
• Better protection for more workers
• Flexibility for Employers
• Raising Employment Standards - Pay slips & Salary Records
Who should attend
• HR & Non HR Directors.
• Officers and Executives.
• Assistants who deal with or will be handling people matters.
Othman Marican has more than 30 years of experience as a practitioner in human resource management and industrial relations. He has spent many years in the labour movement and also held senior human resource management positions during his tenure of work.
During the span of his career, he has held several appointments at the national level including being a Member of the NTUC Central Committee, National Wages Council, National Productivity Board (now known as SPRING Singapore), Skills Development Fund Advisory Council. Among others, he has also served as a panel member of the Industrial Arbitration Court.
Othman has been a trainer / lecturer in many varied local training institutions since 1993 and currently serving as member of the board of directors in a community-based professional organisation and chairman of the human resource committee.
• 26 January 2023 (29th Run)
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5.30 pm
• Hotel seminar room
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 680
• SSG/Skills Future Reference TGS-2017500035.
• For Company Sponsored - Net Payable Fee After SSG Training Grant: S$666.
• For Self-Sponsored - SkillsFuture Credit Can Be Used (Singaporeans aged 25 and above).
• UTAP Funding is available for NTUC Union Members (Enhanced UTAP capped at $500 per year, starting from 1 July 2020 to 31 December 2022 for aged 40 years and above).
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Lunch will be provided
Past Participants' Comments
• "Perfect! Trainer was very open to discussion and questions" - Crystal Chiam, Dredging International Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• "The course content, examples and reviews given were useful and applicable. The trainer is experienced and given lots of case studies. He is also very good in sharing his thoughts" - Yong Keah Pei
• "Good! Mr Othman is experienced and shared a lot of real case studies during class"
• "The trainer is very organised, well-prepared & excellent delivery!" - Clare Ng
• "Topics were very well explained with relatable examples" - Marilou Pacia, Total Trading Asia Pte Ltd
• "Ground pace and easy to understand!"
• "Very informative and clear"
• "The trainer was really interesting and good and full of enthusiasm on the topics. Really enjoyed myself" - Amanda Karsno, Hong Heng Iron Works
• "The overview of the course enables for better understanding of employment act. Helps to apply effectively" - Koh Su Yin, Iwantani Corporation
• "Very useful notes, concise and knowledgeable trainer!" - G Shanthi, Dredging International Asia Pacific
• "Very informative & updated to EA changes." - Arlene Tangkay, Geco Asia Pte Ltd
• "Very informative!" - Peggy Nui, Donaldson & Burkinshaw LLP
• "Overall Good" - Loh Pooi Fong, Ashland Singapore Pte Ltd
• "Trainer is very engaging, informative and enriching." - Lydia Wong, Marrison Hotel
• "I can apply most of what I’ve learnt at work. The course has been informative and insightful."
Past Participant Organisations
• Admira, Agency For Integrated Care, Ang Mo Kio - Thye Hua Kwan Hospital, Ar Rayyan Corporation, Array Consultancy, Ascension Services, Ashland Singapore, Array Engineering & Facilities Management, Aegis Building & Engineering Pte Ltd, Achilles Systems Pte Ltd (OnlinePajak), Asahi Kasei Plastics Singapore Pte Ltd, Anchorage Construction Co Pte Ltd
• Bestway Cleaning Services, Biomedical Sciences Institutes, Builders 265, Booking.com, BHS Corrugated Singapore Pte Ltd, Baxter Healthcare SA, Singapore Branch, Buddhist Compassion Relief Tzu-Chi Foundation (Singapore)
• Cambridge University Press, Capital Dynamics (S), CapitaLand, Central Provident Fund Board, Chemetall Asia, Colt Ventilation East Asia, Cushman & Wakefield (S), CWM, CYC International, Coherent Singapore, Cartrack Technologies South East Asia Pte Ltd, Clean Solutions Pte Ltd, CapitaLand Shared Services Pte Ltd, CCH Management Services Pte. Ltd.
• Digicel Singapore, Donaldson & Burkinshaw LLP, Dover Court International School (Pte) Ltd, Doxon Engineering, Dredging International Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, DOF Subsea, Dredging International Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Eu Yan Sang Singapore, eGENTIC Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Ernst & Young Solutions LLP, Edenred Pte Ltd, Exida Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Fashion Retail, Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Centre, Flowserve Singapore, Forefront Medical Investment, Francois Marine Services, Fluorotech Pte Ltd
• GIC, Global School Of Technology And Management, Good News Community Services, Guan Chuan Engineering Construction, Geco Asia, Gold Coin Holdings, Gammon Pte Ltd, German Institute of Science and Technology - TUM Asia Pte Ltd
• H&M Hennes & Mauritz, Hard Rock Cafe, Heidrick & Struggles Singapore, Holiday Tours & Travel, Happiness, Hunting Energy Services (Well Intervention) Pte Ltd, Hong Heng Iron Works
• iGrow, Intertek Testing Services (S), Intellectual Property Office of Singapore, I.Dental Invisible Braces Pte Ltd, Iwatani Corporation (Singapore) Pte Ltd
• Jaspal Company, JERA Asia Pte Ltd, Jamiyah Singapore
• K&E Associates, Keong Hong Construction, Kongsberg Maritime, KfW IPEX-Bank Asia Ltd, Kuehne + Nagel Pte Ltd
• L.D Waxson (S), Lam International Corporation, Lee Huat Yap Kee, LEWIS Public Relations, LEXMAR Engineering, Lloyds Merchant Bank Asia Limited, Lu International (Singapore) Financial Asset Exchange Pte Ltd, LF Logistics Services Pte Ltd
• Mandarin Opto-Medic Co, Marrison Hotel, Matco Asia, Mitsui & Co. (Asia Pacific), Molnlycke Health Care Asia-Pacific, Mapletree Investments, Marriott International, Mikron Singapore, MMA Steel Pte Ltd, Metta School, Michelin Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Metta Welfare Association, Mullenlowe Singapore Pte Ltd
• National Institute of Education, NORDAM Singapore, Nature Landscapes, Nova Shipping & Logistics, National Heathcare Group Polyclinics, National University of Singapore - Institute of Systems Science
• OCBC Bank, Oracle Corporation, Orthodontic Master (S), Osaka Gas Singapore Pte Ltd
• P.T. BankNegara Indonesia (Persero) Tbk, SG Branch, Pokka International Pte Ltd, Pokka Logistics Singapore Pte Ltd, PSA Marine, PwC International Assignment Services, PricewaterhouseCoopers CM Services Pte Ltd, Pulsesync Pte Ltd, Pure Senses Pte Ltd, Pactera Singapore Pte Ltd, Pathlight School
• Rico Engineering Works, Roxwell, Richemont Luxury (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Rolls Royce Pte Ltd c/o Simitri Group International Pte Ltd, Raffles Girls' School (Secondary), RGF Talent Solutions Singapore Pte. Ltd, Realty Management Services Pte Ltd
• Saint Clare School for Special Education, Schneller Asia, SD Solutions, Seiko Instruments Singapore, SGS Testing & Control Services Singapore, Singapore Academy of Law, Singapore Children's Society, Singapore Technologies Marine, SourceCode Asia Pacific, Spirax Sarco, ST Education & Training, SMRT Corporation, Spirax Sarco, Sunshine Smile Dental Implant Centre, Swiss-Asia Financial Services, STT Communications Ltd, SAA Architects Pte Ltd, Singapore Exchange, STT Communications Ltd, Sumitomo Corporation Asia & Oceania Pte Ltd, Scan-bilt Pte Ltd, Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd, SQ 1 Development Pte Ltd, Sunlove Abode for Intellectually-Infirmed Ltd, Sato Kogyo (S) Pte Ltd, Sembcorp Specialised Construction Pte Ltd, Singapore Maritime Institute, Singapore Kindness Movement, Singapore University of Social Sciences
• Tolaram Corporation, TwinRock, Thomas Sabo Trading, Timbre Group, Tanaka Electronics Singapore Pte Ltd, Total Trading Asia Pte Ltd, Tristars Engineering And Services Pte Ltd, TUV SUD PSB Pte Ltd
• Quasi-S Pte Ltd
• Urban Redevelopment Authority
• Vitol Asia Pte Ltd, VCCP Singapore Pte Ltd
• World Vision International, W’Ray construction, WIKA Instrumentation Pte Ltd
• Xylem Water Solutions Singapore
• YHS (Singapore)