HRSINGAPORE Community Discussions
Entitlement to Overtime Payment
Dear HR friends,
I need your advise.. our office official working hours are from 9.00am to 6.00pm. The other day, our Customer Service staff are asked to come for a meeting at 8.30am. Does that entitles them to claim for Overtime?
Urgently seeking some advise to enlighten us.
REPLIES & COMMENTS
If the Customer Service employee covers under Employment Act (i.e. salary below S$2,500), yes the Company should pay her overtime since she is requested by the Company to work beyond the normal 8 hours.
That will depend.
1. 1st to determine is that staff a PME or NON PME, from the designation I take it as NON PME.
2. What the monthly salary? Lets’ assume it is $2500 or below. So we take it as a NON PME, NON WORKMEN (less than 50% of work being manual work), Salary $2500 and below, covered by EA.
3. What is the weekly working hours? Say it is a 5 days work week, 9am-6pm inclusive 1hr lunch and no additional break (8 working hours).
4. Weekly working hours is 40hrs, from EA it indicated only if weekly working hours
exceeding 44 then you are required to pay OT (thus by EA, there is no need for you to pay OT).
5. Now look at your contract, should your contract actually state it is a 9am - 6pm work, with no additional clause, then there is a reason the staff is seeking OT from you (under contractual terms, you should be paying them OT).
It can be treated as pre OT, if approves by your management.