During this workshop, participants will understand the skills they require to effectively and efficiently achieve HR goals and objectives.
While leaders set the direction, they must also use management and special skills to guide their people to the desired destination in a smooth and efficient way.
Whether you manage an HR department or a project team, it is important to know how to get the work done right. When you are required to achieve something with the help of others, it is complex and you often spend much time managing relationships instead of doing the actual work. So, you must develop not only your HR technical skills, but your domain-general skills as well.
There is a plethora of skills that an HR manager needs to be effective but which are the essential ones and most immediately required while others can be developed over time?
This one day workshop will focus on the few essential skills an HR manager needs. You'll learn how each of these skill sets impacts a manager's ability to effectively lead his or her employees.
• To appreciate the relationship between leadership and management in the pursuit of business and HR goals and objectives.
• To appreciate the importance of setting objectives and KPIs to achieve desired performance outcome.
• To understand the essential skills necessary to effectively lead team members to the desired HR destination.
• To understand how the essential skills in this workshop are used for effective and efficient implementation of strategies to achieve HR goals and objectives.
• To learn tools for the essential skills.
Part I : Achieving business and HR goals
• The relationship between Leadership and Management.
• Setting objectives and KPIs.
Part II : Effective leadership to implement HR strategies to achieve goals and objectives
• Leading Teams: Understanding team dynamics and fostering good relationships.
• Managing discipline and dealing with conflict
• Coaching and counselling
Part III : Communicating effectively
• Essentials of communication that are taken for granted.
• Cross-cultural context
• Fiasco and disaster caused by bad communication – case studies
Part IV : Consulting Skills
• Change management
• Interpersonal skills
• Ethical influencing without coercion
Part V : Selecting and developing people
• “Garbage in, garbage out”
• Impact on business performance
• How to?
Part VI : Engaging Employees
• What is and what is not about employee engagement
• Impact on business performance
• Some suggestions on effective engagement
Part VII : Business Partnering
• Core purpose of HR business partnering.
• What does it take to be effective in business partnering.
Who should attend
• Senior HR Executives.
• HR Supervisors.
• Assistant HR Managers.
• HR Managers.
Adrian Wong has more than 25 years of experience as a Senior Regional HR Professional with many years of experience in diverse industry especially manufacturing, food and beverage, FMCG, Supply Chain, freight and logistics, consultancy and Information, education, financial ratings and research sectors.
Adrian has worked as the Corporate HR Director, Asia Pacific for McGraw Hill Companies, Vice-President HR for EGL Asia Pacific Holdings Company Pte Ltd, Vice-President HR International Division for Japfa International Pte Ltd, Regional HR and Quality Director, Exel Way & QSHE Director for MSAS/Exel/DHL, Personnel Manager for Motorola Electronics and General Motors.
He covers more than 12 countries in Asia Pacific from India to Japan, China and down south to New Zealand. He led HR teams in different countries reporting to him and covers the full spectrum of HR activities: talent acquisition, total rewards, training and development including change management, HR Operations and benefits for the region. His experience covers a number of Mergers and Acquisitions, takeovers, HR workforce restructuring, corporate social responsibility, HR Outsourcing, Employee communications, Industrial and Union negotiation, etc. His training experience includes Corporate Internal Trainer for Management Leadership Programs, leadership programs for First Line managers, Business Development programs, leadership transition programs.
During his work with Exel and McGraw Hill, he travels extensively to South Korea and assist in mergers and acquisition, employee dismissal cases, employee training and also helping the company replace the pension program from a DB to a DC scheme in line with the labour changes at that time. He helps them in the development of the Employee handbook and HR policies.
While he was with the Supply Chain Industry, he has responsibility over Quality, Safety and Environment covering Asia pacific countries and directs ISO Quality certification programs, 1800 safety management and 1400 Environment programs for the group. He also developed the leadership management program jointly with NUS Business Management School for young leaders and covers the Exel Way launch for Asia.
Adrian is a certified DISC and DDI facilitator and was also a part time lecturer for an Australian University for its Bachelor and Masters programs (International Human Resource Management Modules) and a local Institute for its Human Resource Management, Training & Development and Strategic Management programs. He is currently one of the trainers for HRSINGAPORE's HR Certification Courses.
Adrian possess a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) and a Masters of Arts in Human Development. He also possess Diplomas in Management Consultancy, Marketing, Industrial Management, Human Resource, Quality and Production Engineering.
• 30 August 2018 - 2nd Run
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 550 for Community
• S$ 580 for Non-Subscribers
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Past Participants' Comments
• "The training program was good. Lecturer was friendly. Good food, comprehensive notes, conducive environment." - Maya Angelyn, Blum South East Asia Pte Ltd
Past Participant Organisations
• Blum South East Asia.
• Shanghai American School, Singapore Police Force, Singapore Valve & Fitting, St. James' Church.
• The Oaks Cellars.
• Uni-Zone Structural.