Be aware of the legal requirements when handling grievances, discipline, or termination in the workplace. Scroll down for more information.
In the War for Talent in creating a high performance organization, employees must be engaged, committed, involved and motivated. However with rapid changes in market forces coupled with changes in company policies and procedures, employees may feel that they are not properly treated or consulted resulting in a feeling of injustice. If this grievance is not detected and surface, the aggrieved employee may keep it to himself. This will lead to low morale, poor work performance, bad attitude and resignation. If such individual grievance is unresolved, it may result in a group grievance and affect excellent service or operational delivery. Occasionally, the employee may commit misconduct and this will result in disciplinary action.
This workshop provides participants with a good knowledge of the legal requirements for grievance and disciplinary handling, establishes grievance and discipline procedures, conducts grievance and discipline meetings, identifies and minimizes grievances.
(Face-to-face training at our hotel venues which are certified SG Clean. We will continue to adopt a small class size for all our courses)
• Handling grievances at the workplace
• Understanding the grievance-handling procedure
• Discipline and terminating a worker who is not performing or creating trouble at the workplace
• The procedures to follow before issuing a staff with a warning letter
• Understanding the difference between termination of service vs dismissal
• Handling the dismissal of staff who has committed a non-work related offence
• The recourse for staff being wrongfully dismissed
Grievance and Grievance-Handling:
• Understanding grievances and why employees raised them
• Common grievances
• Negative response to grievance
• Consequences of mishandling grievances
• Handling grievance effectively
• Company's grievance-handling procedure and what you need to do
Discipline and Disciplinary Action:
• What is discipline?
• Why need discipline?
• How do you discipline a staff without fear or favour?
• Progressive Discipline
• Golden Rules in Discipline
• Hot-Stove Rules
• Common types of discipline
• Company's Code of Conduct & Discipline
• What are the common kinds of disciplinary infractions?
• How do you know the disciplinary action is fair?
• How do you determine what level of progressive discipline is appropriate for the offence?
Termination and Dismissal:
• Contract and contractual rights
• Termination with notice
• Payment in lieu of notice
• Dismissal without notice
• Holding an Inquiry
• Right of staff to appeal for wrongly dismissal
• Consequences of wrongful dismissal
• Victimisation of union officials
• Handling dismissal effectively
• What must you do before resorting to dismissal?
• How can you ensure the dismissal is justified and fair?
Developing Positive Working Relationship with your staff
• Dos and Don'ts
• Handling different types of staff
Who should attend
• HR Personnel, Line Managers and Supervisors involved in people management, counselling, change processes and managing interpersonal relationships within their organization.
• Lectures, discussion, sharing and case-studies.
Elsie Low is a HR Practitioner with over 25 years of experience. She has specific experience and strength in talent acquisition, human resource development, compensation and benefits development, payroll administration and management, talent management, employee communication and relations. She is a visionary and performance focused professional. Coupled with that, she has excellent business acumen with strong work ethics.
Elsie has worked in various multi-national and local SMEs and in different sectors such as manufacturing, electronics, construction, engineering and oil & gas. Her span of responsibility and experience are spent in various regional and leadership roles across different regions in ASEAN, Australia, China and Middle East.
Elsie graduated with a Bachelor Degree in Human Resource and a MBA in Finance. She also possesses the Certificate in Workplace Basics from Fairwork Commission Australia and an Advanced Certificate of Training and Assessment (ACTA).
She is currently one of the trainers for HRSINGAPORE's HR Certification Courses.
Othman Marican has more than 30 years of experience as a practitioner in human resource management and industrial relations. He has spent many years in the labour movement and also held senior human resource management positions during his tenure of work.
During the span of his career, he has held several appointments at the national level including being a Member of the NTUC Central Committee, National Wages Council, National Productivity Board (now known as SPRING Singapore), Skills Development Fund Advisory Council. Among others, he has also served as a panel member of the Industrial Arbitration Court.
Othman has been a trainer / lecturer in many varied local training institutions since 1993 and currently serving as member of the board of directors in a community-based professional organisation and chairman of the human resource committee.
• 25 November 2022 (27th Run)
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
• Hotel seminar room
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 650
• SSG/Skills Future Reference TGS-2021009657.
• For Company Sponsored - Net Payable Fee After SSG Training Grant: S$636.
• For Self-Sponsored - SkillsFuture Credit Can Be Used (Singaporeans aged 25 and above).
• UTAP Funding is available for NTUC Union Members (Enhanced UTAP capped at $500 per year, starting from 1 July 2020 to 31 December 2022 for aged 40 years and above).
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Lunch will be provided
Past Participants' Comments
• "Well organised and broad content was well covered!" - Michael Davidson, UWCSEA
• "Learning from case studies and the implications of such cases. Very useful course and practical. Very good and engaging session. Trainer is very experienced and knowledgeable" - Sharon Ng
• "Very well organized, conducive environment for the workshop, very useful relevant workshop. The do's and don'ts of managing employee issues"
• "Very informative session between the trainer & the participants. Take back a lot of learning materials" - Wong Jun Ying, Ultra Clean Asia Pacific
• "Trainer is knowledgeable and I enjoyed this session tremendously!" - Irene Soh, Supreme Court
• "Every topic is useful, especially Discipline." - Kym Ko, Nagase Singapore (Pte) Ltd
• "Concepts are detailed and actual cases are discussed to enhance understanding of subject matter." - Tan Wei Ling, AETOS Security Management Pte Ltd
Past Participant Organisations
• Abbott Laboratories, ADK Maritime, Advanced Micro Devices, AETOS Security Management, Agency for Integrated Care, Agency for Science, Technology & Research, Alexandra Hospital, Architects Team 3, Asahi Kasei Plastics, Asia Pacific Breweries (Singapore), Assisi Hospice, ADM Asia-Pacific Trading Pte Ltd, Assisi Hospice
• Bank of Communications, Barclays Capital Services, Berg Propulsion Production, Bilcare, Bioskin, Bishan-Toa Payoh Town Council, BLL's Transportation and Trading, BMW Asia, BP Singapore, British American Tobacco Singapore, Brother International Singapore, Bridgestone Tyre Sales Singapore, B. Braun Singapore Pte Ltd, Brainy Moves Pte Ltd
• Cameron (Singapore), Capital Dynamics, CapitaLand Commercial & Integrated Development, Centillion Environment & Recycling, Centre for Strategic Infocomm Technologies, Certis Cisco Aviation Security, Certis CISCO Security, Chevron Oronite, Citco Fund Services (Singapore), City Developments, Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore, Club Med Asia S.A
• Cluster A, Singapore Prison Service, CNOOC SES, Convergys Singapore, Copper Development Centre - Southeast Asia, Courts (Singapore), CPG Corporation, Credit Counselling Singapore Society, CYC International, Cycle & Carriage, Cartrack Technologies South East Asia Pte Ltd, CapitaLand Commercial Management Pte Ltd
• Deep Sea Supply Management (Singapore), Defence Science & Technology Agency, Deloitte & Touche, Department of Transport Abu Dhabi UAE, Docomo interTouch, DSO National Laboratories, Digitrade Fintech Pte Ltd
• ECO Industrial Environmental Engineering, Economic Development Board, EMO, Eng Lee Engineering, Eni Muara Bakau B.V. (Indonesia)
• Far East Management, Federal Express, Flextronics Plastics, FNCC Coca-Cola (Singapore), Fei Siong Food Management Pte Ltd
• GE Plastics, German European School Association Singapore, Gimmill Industrial, Global Ariel, Global Tender Barges, Goodrich Aerostructures Service Center-Asia, Grace Orchard School, Gucci Singapore, Golden Agri International Pte Ltd
• Hai Leck Engineering, Halliburton Far East, HDB, Health Sciences Authority, Hilton International Asia Pacific, Hitachi Global Storage, Hong Seh Motors, Hoo Huat Engineering, HPB, HSBC Private Bank (Suisse) SA, Hwa Chong Institution
• ICA, ICBC, IE Singapore, Indonesia Deposit Insurance Corporation /Lembaga Penjamin Simpanan, Informa Regional Finance - Asia, Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore, Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, Institute of Mental Health, Institute of Microelectronics, Institute of Technical Education (ITE College West), InterContinental, Intertek Testing
• Jett8 Airlines Cargo, JP Morgan Chase, JPMC, JT International Tobacco Services (S), Jumbo Group of Restaurants
• Kelvin Chia Partnership, Keppel Fels, Keppel Shipyard, Keppel Singmarine, Kernel Oil, Kester Components
• Learning Vision International, Le-Gardien, Lloyd Wise, Luxasia
• M Hotel Singapore, Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore, MAS, Master Contract Services, Matco Asia, McDonald's Restaurants, Merrill Lynch Global Services, Medtronic Singapore Operations, MHE-Demag, MICA, Micron Semiconductor, Millennium & Copthorne Intl Ltd-Orchard Hotel Spore, MINDEF/SAF HRSC, Ministry of Community Development, Youth & Sports, Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Finance, Mitsui & Co. (Asia Pacific), MSIG Insurance (Singapore), Murray International Metals, Masjid Darul Makmur, Mapletree Investments Pte Ltd, Michelin Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Nagase Singapore, Nanyang Technological University, National Environment Agency, National Institute of Education, National Parks Board, National University of Singapore, NCS, New Park Hotel, Nordic Flow Control, NP Foods, NTUC First Campus Co-operative, NTUC Income, NTUC Fairprice Co-operative, Nishio Rent All Singapore Pte Ltd, National University Health System Pte Ltd
• Oiltanking Asia Pacific, Omega Integration, One Marina Property Services, Onn Wah Precision Engineering, Optibelt Asia Pacific, Orchard Hotel Singapore
• Parkway Group Healthcare, Parkway Hospitals Singapore, PCI, Performance Motors, Perstorp Singapore, Petrojaya Marine, Pfizer Asia Pacific, Phillip Wain International (S), Phillips 66 International Trading, PMO, Prima Food, Prison Staff Training School @ Home Team Academy, PSA Corporation, PT. Bank Negara Indonesia (Persero) Tbk, Pactera Singapore Pte Ltd
• Radlink Diagnostic Imaging, Republic Polytechnic, Rentokil Initial Singapore, Riche Monde, Robert Bosch (SEA), Royal Bank of Canada, Royal Brunei Airline, RSI Engineering.
• Santa Fe Relocation Services (S), SAS, Schwabe Pharma Asia Pacific, Seagate, Sembas (Asia) Trading, Senoko Power, Sentosa Leisure Management, Shell Eastern Petroleum, Shimizu Corporation, Siemens, Singapore Aero Engine Services, Singapore Assoc for Mental Health, Singapore Association for the Deaf, Singapore Dental Council, Singapore Land Authority, Singapore Management University, Singapore Institute of Management, Singapore Medical Council, Singapore Oxygen Air Liquide, Singapore Polytechnic, Singapore Pools, Singapore Prison, Singapore Sports Council, Singapore Tourism Board, SMC Pneumatics (SEA), Solectron, Sony Electronics Asia Pacific, Sourcegate Technologies, St Joseph's Home, Standard Chartered Bank, Standard Form, Star Cruises, Steris Singapore, Sun Ace Kakoh, Sunflower International Hospitality Services, Sunward Pharmaceutical, Supreme Court (Judiciary), Swets Information Services, Swissotel Merchant Court Singapore, Systems on Silicon Manufacturing Company, SINDA, Sunray Woodcraft Construction Pte Ltd, Samsung Electro-Mechanics Pte Ltd, Showa Denko HD Singapore Pte Ltd
• Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Tanaka Electronics Singapore, Tanglin Corporation, Tara Enterprise, Teijin Polycarbonate Singapore, Teleplan Service Solutions Asia BV, Temasek Polytechnic, Ten Cate Enbi, The American Club, The Asia Life Assurance Society, The Fullerton Hotel Singapore / Precious Treasure, The GMP Group, The Royal Bank of Scotland N.V, TNT Express Worldwide (S), Toppan Forms, Trafigura, Tri-Net Logistics (Asia), Tung Lok Millennium, TAL Apparel
• United World College of South East Asia, Ultra Clean Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, UEMS Solutions Pte Ltd
• Watsons Personal Care Store, WD Media (Singapore), Western Bulk, West UC Singapore, Whatman, Wieland Metals Singapore, Wing Tai Holdings, Woh Hup, World Courier Singapore, Wyeth Nutritionals
• Yayasan MENDAKI, Yongnam Engineering & Construction, Yong-en Care Centre