This seminar provides participants an overview of Australia’s employment law framework and employment obligations
Over the past 20 years, reforms to Australia’s Workplace Relations law had been a key item on the agenda of the major political parties. All parties proclaimed the need for greater flexibility but differed in their approach to achieving these outcomes.
The Workplace Relations Amendment Act 2005, popularly known as Work Choices, came into effect in March 2006. This legislation brought about many changes, but the most significant of which being that all incorporated businesses became subject to the federal industrial relations system. Since then, there has been turbulence surrounding the system as amendments have been made in line with political trends. This continued until the introduction of the Fair Work Act, which came into effect in 2010.
The Fair Work Act has established a new structure of regulation that attempts to create a more nationally focused Workplace Relations system in Australia. Each state, other than Western Australia has handed over some or all of their industrial relations powers to the Commonwealth. This has meant that the vast majority of Australian employers and employees are now effectively covered by the Fair Work Act and are part of the federal system.
At the end of this one day program, participants should have a comprehensive overview of Australia’s employment law framework and minimum employment obligations. They will be aware of general employee rights and about trade unions, courts and tribunals, as well as its flexibility and limitation.
(Training Venues: In view of the current COVID-19 situation, we will maintain small class size for all our courses. Hotels has taken strict measures such as daily disinfecting of all seminar rooms, cleaning the lift buttons and door knobs, temperature taking for our participants and hand sanitizers are also available)
(Social Distancing: Traditional classroom setting with only ONE participant at each table, with a distance of one metre apart from another. Comfortable seating space at the lunch area. All participants have to wear a mask during the training)
• Employment law framework.
• Minimum employment obligations.
• General employee rights.
• Courts and Tribunals.
• Trade Unions.
• Flexibilities and Limitations.
• The basics: employing people in Australia – employment laws, taxation, superannuation, workers compensation
• The protections: minimum requirements on employers – National Employment Standards, Modern Awards, Freedom of Association, Equal Opportunity
• The rules: navigating through Australian employment law – Fair Work Australia, Unfair dismissal, General employment protections, Trade Unions, Consultation on workplace change
• The pitfalls: what to look out for – Good faith bargaining, Fair Work Ombudsman, Transmission of business, Common law claims
• The opportunities: how to create better outcomes – Enterprise Bargaining, Individual Flexibility, Guarantee of Annual Earnings (i.e. Executive employment)
Who should attend
• HR & Non HR Directors.
• Executives and Officers who deal with or will be handling HR/employment matters in Australia.
Elsie Low is a HR Practitioner with over 25 years of experience. She has specific experience and strength in talent acquisition, human resource development, compensation and benefits development, payroll administration and management, talent management, employee communication and relations. She is a visionary and performance focused professional. Coupled with that, she has excellent business acumen with strong work ethics.
Elsie has worked in various multi-national and local SMEs and in different sectors such as manufacturing, electronics, construction, engineering and oil & gas. Her span of responsibility and experience are spent in various regional and leadership roles across different regions in ASEAN, Australia, China and Middle East.
Elsie graduated with a Bachelor Degree in Human Resource and a MBA in Finance. She also possesses the Certificate in Workplace Basics from Fairwork Commission Australia. She is currently one of the trainers for HRSINGAPORE's HR Certification Courses.
Hugh McPherson has been the Managing Director of an Australian based Employee Relations consulting group since 2009. Working with clients around the region, Hugh and his team provide proactive solutions related to employment compliance inside and outside of Australia, and expert support where unexpected, and often sensitive people management challenges arise.
Hugh’s current work covers the spectrum of Employee Relations and encompasses advices regarding:
• Change programs (i.e. acquisitions, re-engineering)
• Designing and delivering new employment structures (i.e. contracts, agreements, policies)
• HR due diligence (i.e. compliance auditing)
• Performance management activities
• Preventing and responding to workplace bullying, harassment and discrimination
• Building effective cultures and teams
Hugh was a senior manager in an Australian workplace relations consulting firm and his experience is in providing high level advice to medium and large enterprises across a variety of different industries and industrial environments. Previous to this, Hugh had been the Senior Employee Relations Adviser in a large Australian government organization; a contracted adviser to the Union movement and HR Manager in the health sector.
Hugh is a regular speaker at conferences within Australia and the APAC region and has been the trainer of HRLAW Australia Seminar for HRSINGAPORE since 2011.
• 13 April 2021 (20th Run)
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
• Hotel seminar room
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 850 for Community
• S$ 880 for Non-Subscribers
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Past Participants' Comments
• "Good! Able to answer questions and discuss issues" - Monique Yong, KUKA Robot Automation (M) Sdn. Bhd
• "All useful. Great oversight to raise awareness."
• "...The Australian Law is very complicated."
• "The trainer is really willing to share. Bravo! It’s one of the best training sessions I have attended for the past few years." - Jessica Lee, E-T-A Asia Pacific
Past Participant Organisations
• ARA Management Pte Ltd, Abacus International, Aberdeen Asset Management Asia Ltd, Achieva Technology Pte Ltd, ADM Cocoa, Allegro Development Asia Pte Ltd, Ametek Singapore Pte Ltd, Apple South Asia Pte Ltd, Ascendas Land (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Asco Asia, Aveva Asia Pacific, Aeroflex Asia Ltd, Amundi Singapore Ltd, Ashland Singapore Pte Ltd, Allied World Assurance Company Ltd, Aspial Corporation Ltd, Avaloq Sourcing Asia Pacific (Singapore) Pte Ltd, AxiomSL Pte Ltd, Archetype Agency Pte Ltd, Achilles Systems Pte Ltd
• Baker Hughes Singapore Pte Ltd, Barclays Capital Services Ltd, Barclays PLC, Blue Coat Systems Singapore Pte Ltd, BT Frontline Pte Ltd
• Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, Capital Dynamics (S) Pte Ltd, Capital Group, Caprock Communications Pte Ltd, Chemtura Singapore Ptd Ltd, Covance (Asia) Pte Ltd, CareerBuilder (Singapore) Pte Ltd, ComfortDelGro Corporation Limited, Credit Industriel et Commerical, Criteo Singapore Pte Ltd, CapitaLand Shared Services Pte Ltd, CapitaLand International Pte Ltd
• Dassault Systemes, Digital Investment Management Pte Ltd, Drip-Quip Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Daiwa Capital Markets Singapore Limited, Doka Formwork Pte Ltd
• Essence Digital, Enermech Pte Ltd, EnerSys Asia Limited, Elsevier (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Enviro-Hub Holdings Ltd, EskoArtwork - Esko-Graphics, E-T-A Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Exact, Ezra Holdings Limited, Easy Payroll Global Employment Services Pte Ltd
• F5 Networks Singapore Pte Ltd, FARO Singapore Pte Ltd, FDM Singapore Consulting Pte Ltd, Fluke South East Asia Pte Ltd, Flying Dragon Adventures Pte Ltd, Far East Management (Private) Limited
• General Reinsurance AG, Givaudan Singapore Pte Ltd, Grass Valley Singapore Pte Ltd, Grohe Pacific Pte Ltd
• Hallin Marine Singapore Pte Ltd, Haworth Singapore Pte Ltd, Hydrogen Group Pte Ltd, Hotelbeds Singapore Pte Ltd, Hai Di Lao Holdings Pte Ltd, Ho Bee Land Ltd
• Illumina Singapore Pte Ltd, IMC Pan Asia Alliance Pte Ltd, InterContinental Hotels Group Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, International Enterprise Singapore, InterCall Singapore Pte Ltd, ICD Security Solutions Ltd, Inmarsat Solutions Pte Ltd
• Jebsen & Jessen (SEA) Pte Ltd, John Bean Technologies Singapore Pte Ltd
• KUKA Robot Automation (M) Sdn. Bhd
• Lewis Public Relations Pte Ltd, Linkedin Singapore
• MegaChem Ltd, Metro Global Pte Ltd, MFS International Singapore Ltd, MindChamps PreSchool, MindChamps Singapore, Mitsubishi UFJ Securities, Mapletree Investments Pte Ltd, MP Biomedicals Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• National Instruments Singapore, Nagase Singapore Pte Ltd, Navis Management, NCS Pte Ltd, Nippecraft Limited
• Oceaneering International Pte Ltd, Odfjell Singapore Pte Ltd, Oiltanking Asia Ltd, Oliver Wyman, Openlink Financial Pte Ltd
• Panasonic Avionics Corporation, Park Regis Singapore, PayPal Progress Software Corporation
• Reddot Brewhouse, Rolls-Royce Singapore Pte Ltd, Richemont Luxury (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Red Hat Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Rapiscan System Pte Ltd
• S P Jain School of Global Management, Sabre International, Saxo Capital Markets Pte Ltd, SDV Asia Pacific Corporate Pte Ltd, Seaco Asia Pte Ltd, Semperit Investments Asia Pte Ltd, Shell Business Service Centre, SilverNeedle Hospitality Pte Ltd, Singapore Campus, Singapore Tourism Board, SITA Infomation Networking Computing (Asia Pacific) Pte Ltd, Solstad Offshore Asia Pacific Ltd, Spencer Ogden Energy, SUTL Corporation Pte Ltd, Sybase (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Symantec Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Spencer Ogden Pte Ltd, Strategic Eduhub Pte Ltd, Spectris Pte Ltd
• Tesco Singapore, Teva Pharmaceutical Investments Singapore Pte Ltd, Tate & Lyle Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, The Hour Glass Limited, TripAdvisor Singapore, TriStar Electronics Pte Ltd, T.D. Williamson Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Terumo BCT Asia Pte. Ltd, TenX Pte Ltd
• UST Global (Singapore) Pte Ltd
• Vitol Asia Pte Ltd
• WD Media (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Wirecard Singapore Pte Ltd, Wellard Ships Pte Ltd
• YHI Corporation (Singapore) Pte Ltd
• Zebra Technologies Asia Pacific Pte Ltd