This seminar clarifies and shares the PRC employment law framework and changes with practical tips and techniques
With a population of 1.3 billion, a labour force of over 800 million, and more than 5 million graduates from institutions of higher learning each year, China has the potential to dominate global business in the decades to come. The country currently has the world's second-largest GDP in terms of purchasing power and received more than $80 billion in foreign direct investment in 2007 - five times the level in India during the same year.
With its rapid economic growth, China has experienced increased sophistication of human resources practices. New laws are being passed which regulate everything from hiring practices to minimum wage. Enforcement of labour laws by government officials and courts has also increased.
Among the most important people-related matters for foreign-invested enterprises (FIEs) in China are the legal requirements surrounding the issues from recruitment to termination. It is never an easy task for foreign businesses to understand their local Chinese employee, but companies wishing to avoid costly labour disputes and penalties in China must be particularly vigilant.
On January 1, 2008, a new Labor Contract Law came into effect in China, supplementing the 1995 Labor Law. This new piece of legislation is meant primarily to protect the interests of blue-collar workers, but is technically applicable to all types of employees in China, whether Chinese citizens or foreigners.
This one-day seminar clarifies and shares the PRC employment law framework together with practical tips and
techniques It will address the practical aspects of managing a cross-cultural workforce and provide an accurate understanding of
critical Chinese employment issues when setting up and maintaining operations in China.
(Face-to-face training with safe distancing and precautionary measures undertaken at our hotel venues which are certified SG Clean. We will continue to adopt a small class size for all our courses)
• Impact of the Chinese New Labour Contract on employment practices with practical application to workplace scenarios.
• Better manage employees' issues and operations in China - in the context of the new Labour Contract Law.
• Vital aspects of employment law issues in China.
• Adapt people management style and approach to accommodate Chinese business culture.
I. An overview of the employment law framework in China - Foreign Business operations perspectives.
II. New Labour Contract Law introduction
• What potential workplace issues can this new labour contract law give rise to?
• Hiring and offering context: employment contracts and service contracts considerations (including key terms and conditions of employment - duration, probationary periods, salary, sick pay and holidays, notice, termination, confidentiality).
• Supplementary service company employment contracts.
• Employment of expatriates and foreigners: structuring employment contracts, employment arrangements, work and residency permits, individual tax planning.
III. Operating for success in a PRC business environment - case studies
• Termination of employment
• Disciplinary procedures
• Grounds for dismissal
• Redundancies and reorganizations
• Trade Union matters
• Consultation procedures
• Dispute resolution: grievances, disciplinary issues and dismissals
Who should attend
• HR & non HR Directors.
• Managers and Executives who deal with or will be handling HR matters in China.
• All business professionals who have a vested interest in applying the PRC employment laws to deliver effective people management together with employees' issues resolutions to their companies in China.
From a Senior HR Business Partner to Senior Vice President, Michael has worked for several MNCs including CWT Distribution Limited (Singapore), International Data Corporation (USA), the Millennium & Copthorne International Hotels Group (Singapore), Marriott International (in China) and Melco China Resorts (Holding) Limited (Macau). In his tenure at CWT, Michael was appointed by the CEO as the Management Representative to lead in corporate culture development and change. He has developed, implemented and coached several action programs that were necessary in the development of a learning culture within the organization and beyond. In 2003, Michael was selected by the industry to become one of the Executive Committee Members representing the Singapore hospitality industry to provide value-added initiatives and plans to the local government in enhancing the skills and value of the local workforce. He is active in helping the community, especially those unemployed and in poverty to reskill them and bring them back to the workforce.
In recent years Michael worked in China for Marriott to open new properties and some of its flagship hotels. Michael also worked for the Society of Petroleum Engineers in Malaysia as their Asia Pacific Director of Operations responsible for organizing and managing industry-related MICE activities. In his tenure, he has also developed good relationship with key stakeholders and decision makers in many national oil companies and international oil and gas corporations. Michael also worked as an independent consultant handling several pre-opening and restructuring projects. This include assisting the GM in opening the first Wyndham flagship hotel in Singapore; worked as an interim General Manager to open an exclusive club for arts & culture professionals in Guangzhou; developed and implement a comprehensive strategic Customer Service Excellence Program for United Overseas Bank in China as well as providing professional HR service & consultation to the new rebranded Hotel Jen in Singapore.
Michael has always been interested to develop the next generation of talents and leaders. Since 1995, Michael has served as an adjunct faculty for several local and foreign universities as well as some adult learning institutions on topics including Human Resource Management, Coaching & Counselling, Business Contract & Maritime Law, Organizational Behavior, Customer Service Training and many others.
Michael received his MBA from an Australian University and holds an Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (Facilitated Learning). He is a registered Practicing Management Consultant (PMC), a recognized SkillsFuture Mentor for SMEs in Singapore and also a Certified Senior Professional with IHRP Singapore.
• 8 December 2021 (28th Run)
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
• Hotel seminar room
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 850 for Community
• S$ 880 for Non-Subscribers
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Lunch will be provided
Past Participants' Comments
Past Participant Organisations
• AAR, Abacus International, Aberdeen Asset Management Asia, Addvalue Communications, Aeroflex Asia, AETN Asia, Affymetrix, Afor, AFPD, Agilis Communication, AIG, Air Energi Group Singapore, AirPlus International, AKJ Marketing, AMB Property Corporation, Aneric Enterprise, ANT Labs, APMI, ARA Management, Ariba International Singapore, Arvato Digital Services, Asahi Kasei Plastics, Aspentech, atea Environmental Technology, Autosplice, Avaplas, Austasia Food, Aslan Pharmaceuticals Pte Ltd, Almac Pharmaceutical Services Pte Ltd
• Banshing Industrial Co, Banyan Tree Hotels & Resorts, Barclays Capital Global Services, Beiersdorf, BG Asia Pacific, BHP Billiton Marketing, Bilcare, Biomin Singapore, BrightBeam, British American Tobacco, Brocade Communications, Brunel International SEA, Booking.com Singapore, BestWorld International Ltd, BLINK Design Group Pte Ltd, Brown-Forman Worldwide LLC
• Calgaz International LLC, Cameron (Singapore), CapitaLand Commercial, CapitaLand Retail, Cardinal Health Singapore, Cardo Group Asia Pacific, Cargo Community Network, Cartus Corporation, Celestica Electronics, Cendant Mobility, Certis CISCO Security, Chartered Semiconductor, Chem-Trend Singapore, Chevron Phillips Chemicals, CIBA Vision, CIBC, City Developments, City Gas, Civil Service College, Clarion Consultants, CloudPay Asia, C-MAR Asia, Combuilder, ComfortDelGro Corporation, CommScope Solutions, Concord Energy, Cooper Cameron, CPG Corporation, Cypress Semiconductor, Chem-Trend Singapore Pte Ltd, CW Group Pte Ltd, Constellation Brands, Criteo, Chong Lee Leong Seng Co. Ltd., Cocoba Pte Ltd, Campari Singapore Pte Ltd
• Dek AP, Delta Design Singapore, Diversey Singapore, DORMA Production GmbH & Co KG, Dow Jones AER, Drake International, Dyna-Mac Engineering Services, Dynea Singapore, DLE M&E, Decode HR Pte Ltd, Design Bridge Asia Pte Ltd
• Eagle Services Asia, Ebel Industries, E-Book Systems, Ecquaria Technologies, EDS, EGL Asia Pacific Holdings, Elliott Ebara Singapore, Eltra Aeronautics, Ematco Industrial Pte Ltd, Enzer Electronics, Epicentre Holdings, ERCO Lighting Pte Ltd, Esko-Graphics, Esmart Holdings, Eteq Components, Eu Yan Sang, Europtronic Singapore, Exheat, ERNI Asia Holding Pte Ltd, EnGro Corporation Limited, Esterline Sensors Services Asia Pte Ltd, Exyte Asia-Pacific Holding Ltd, Elite International Logistics Singapore Pte Ltd, Excel Marco Management & Consulting Pte Ltd
• Far East Management, FE Global Electronics, Federal International (2000), FDM Singapore Consulting Pte Ltd, First Data (Singapore), Flakt Woods Group, Flextech Holdings, Flextronics Design, Flowserve, FMC Technologies Singapore, FME Onyx, Fong Lee Metal Industries, Forefront Medical Technology, Fraser & Neave, Fujitsu PC, Future Electronics, First Filter International Pte Ltd
• General Electric, GEOS Language Centre, GlobeCast Asia, GMAC GRS, Goh Joo Hin, Gracezone Marketing, Grand Corpthorne, GroupM Asia Pacific Holdings, Groz-Beckert East Asia LLP, GSE Lining Technology Co., GTECH Far East
• Hatlapa AP, Haw Par Healthcare, Heidrick & Struggles, Heng Long Leather Co, HETAT, Hi-P International, Hong Leong Corporation Holdings, HS Compression & Process, HVS, Hyflux, Halcyon Agri Corporation, Huntsman Singapore Pte Ltd
• IDS Corporate Services, IDS Scheer Singapore, Illumina Singapore, Independant Consultant, I-Net Solutions, Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore, InFocus Systems Asia, Insight- Jin Hui Adjusters Co, Integrated Lens Technology, Intermec Technologies, International Enterprise Singapore, Intevac Asia, Irisnation Singapore, ING Bank N.V. Singapore Branch, IBC Asia (S) Pte Ltd, ICICI Bank Limited (Singapore Branch)
• J Ray McDermott Asia Pacific, Jardine Schindler, JDS Uniphase Singapore, John Bean Technologies Singapore, John Wiley & Sons Singapore, JFD Singapore Pte Ltd, JustCo Management Pte Ltd
•"K" Line, Kalzip Asia Pacific, Kellogg Brown & Root, Keppel Corporation, Keppel Land International, Keppel Singmarine, Kewill, KLA-Tencor Singapore, Koelnmesse, KS Distribution, KSP Infosystems, Kumon Asia & Oceania, Kaplan Learning Institute Pte Ltd
• L&F Branded Lifestyle, L3 Communications, Lawton & Yeo Design Associates, LexisNexis, LinkedIn Singapore, Lionex Electronics, Litespeed Education, Lotus Engineering Malaysia Sdn Bhd, LSI Technologies, L Catterton Singapore, LHN Group, LEGO Singapore Pte Ltd
• Makino Asia, Matsushita Avionics Systems, McAfee (Singapore), McGraw-Hill Education, MediCorp, Medtronic Singapore Operations, Megachem, Mellon Consultants, Meson Far East, Metal Machines Engineering Services, Methode Electronics, MFS Technology, MG Digital, Micro Mechanics, Milliken Asia Pacific, Millium Resources, Millward Brown, Ministry of Manpower, MIT, Molex Far East, MSI Global Pte Ltd
• Nagravision Asia, Nanyang Polytechnic, NCS, Netsys Consulting, Newera Equipment, Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Nirwana, Norstar Shipping (Asia), Novartis, NTU, NTUC First Campus Co-operative, NTUC LearningHub, NORD/LB Singapore Branch, Nutanix Singapore Pte Ltd
• Oakwell Engineering, OCBC Bank, Ong&Ong, Oticon, OTTO Waste Systems, OSIsoft Asia, Onwards Media Group
• PaC Components, PAC Instruments Asia, Page One, Pan Asia Logistics Singapore, Panasonic Avionics Corporation, Pacific Life Re Limited, Singapore Branch, Panasonic Electronic Devices, Panasonic Industrial, Panduit, Partner Reinsurance Europe SE (Singapore Branch), PC Holdings, PCI, PCS Peripherals, Petracarbon, Petroliam Nasional Berhad, Petronas, Philips Electronics, Planet One, Polycom Asia Pacific, Premas, Premiere Conferencing, Principal Global Investors (S), Prosafe Offshore Services, PT. AKR Corporindo Tbk, Jakarta - Indonesia, Pacific International Lines (Pte) Ltd, PSGOURMET Pte Ltd
• Qatar Airways, Qioptiq Singapore
• R M Martin, Raffles Medical Group, Raritan Asia Pacific, RCL Feeder, Redtec Industries, Reed Elsevier (Singapore) 2008, Refco, Research In Motion Singapore, Roche Diagnostics, Rohde & Schwarz System & Communications Asia, Rolls-Royce, Roper Southeast Asia LLC, RTP Company, Rockwell Automation Asia Pacific Business Center, Radio Holland Singapore Pte Ltd, Raffles Medical Group Ltd
• Sabic, Sabre International LLC, SAGE Publications Asia-Pacific, Save Our Planet Investments, Saxo Capital Markets, SBM Asia Services, Seagate, Seagate Singapore International Headquarters Pte. Ltd, Select Catering Services, Sennheiser Electronic Asia, Ship Equip, SIA Cargo, Silberline Asia Pacific Inc, Sin Ghee Huat Corporation, Sin Soon Huat, Sing Lun & Co, Singapore Computer System, Singapore Petroleum Company, Singapore Press Holdings, Singapore Technologies Kinetics, Singapore Technologies Marine, Singapore Tourism Board, Singex Venues, SingHealth, SITA, SMAP, Smiths Aerospace Pacific Service Centre, SMRT Corporation, Sonoco Asia Management LLC, SPIE Oil & Gas Services ASP, SRS-Worldhotels, SsangYong, ST Aviation Services Co, Starwood AP Hotels & Resorts, Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP), Stella Chemifa, STT Communications, Sud-Chemie SEA, Sulzer Chemtech, Surbana Site Supervisors, Sushi Deli, Svenska Handelsbanken, Symantec Asia Pacific, Systimax Solutions, Sembcorp EOSM, SingEx Holdings, Scoot Tigerair Pte Ltd, Singapore (Cambodia) International Academy Co., Ltd, Sibelco Asia Pte Ltd, Sheares Healthcare Management Pte Ltd, SOFEC Floating Systems Pte Ltd, Singapore Power Limited, SP Group, Soitec Microelectronics Singapore Pte Ltd, Sunray Woodcraft Construction Pte Ltd
• Tandberg Asia Pacific, Tata Communications International, Tate and Lyle Singapore, Temasek Polytechnic, Teva Pharmaceutical Investments Singapore, The Filter Group, The Laryngeal Mask Company, The McGraw-Hill Companies, The Polyolefin Company, Times Publishing, Tiong Seng Contractors, Tiong Woon, Toll Logistics Asia, TR Asia Investment Holdings, Trio-Tech, TriQuint International, Triumph Development Corp, TTI Electronics, Tuan Sing Holdings, Tate & Lyle Asia Pacific, Transas Marine Pacific, Temasek International Pte Ltd
• United Arab Shipping Company, United Arab Shipping Company, UCC Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Vacances (M) Sdn Bhd, VARTA, Veritas Geophysical (Asia Pacific), Visa International, Vitol Asia, Vertex Venture Management Pte Ltd, Vitol Asia Pte Ltd, Verizon Hong Kong Ltd, Vifor Pharma Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Visa Worldwide Pte Ltd, Velocity Global SG Pte Ltd, Viswalab Singapore Pte Ltd
• WD Media (Singapore), WesTech Electronics, Whatman Asia Pacific, Wong Hing Long Technologies, White Clarke Asia Pacific, Whitford Pte Ltd, WATG Singapore, Inc, West UC Singapore Private Limited
• Xilinx, Xyratex
• Zodiac Services Asia, Zentek Engineering, Zuellig Pharma Specialty Solutions Group Pte Ltd