This seminar clarifies and shares the PRC employment law framework and changes with practical tips and techniques
With a population of 1.3 billion, a labor force of over 800 million, and more than 5 million graduates from institutions of higher learning each year, China has the potential to dominate global business in the decades to come. The country currently has the world's second largest GDP in terms of purchasing power and received more than $80 billion in foreign direct investment in 2007 - five times the level in India during the same year.
With its rapid economic growth, China has experienced increased sophistication of human resources practices. New laws are being passed which regulate everything from hiring practices to minimum wage. Enforcement of labor laws by government officials and courts has also increased.
Among the most important people related matters for foreign invested enterprises (FIEs) in China are the legal requirements surrounding the issues from recruitment to termination. It is never an easy task for foreign businesses to understand their local Chinese employee, but companies wishing to avoid costly labor disputes and penalties in China must be particularly vigilant.
On January 1, 2008, a new Labor Contract Law came into effect in China, supplementing the 1995 Labor Law. This new piece of legislation is meant primarily to protect the interests of blue collar workers, but is technically applicable to all types of employees in China, whether Chinese citizens or foreigners.
This one day seminar is developed in a well-balanced approach which clarifies and shares the PRC employment law framework together with practical tips and techniques being deployed to handle New Labour Contract Law effectively. This includes addressing the practical aspects of managing a cross-cultural workforce, and provide with an accurate understanding of critical Chinese employment issues to consider when setting up and maintaining operations in China.
(Training Venues: In view of the current COVID-19 situation, we will maintain small class size for all our courses. Hotels has taken strict measures such as daily disinfecting of all seminar rooms, cleaning the lift buttons and door knobs, temperature taking for our participants and hand sanitizers are also available)
(Social Distancing: Traditional classroom setting with only ONE participant at each table, with a distance of one metre apart from another. Comfortable seating space at the lunch area. All participants have to wear a mask during the training)
• Impact of the Chinese New Labour Contract on employment practices with practical application to workplace scenarios.
• Better manage employees' issues and operations in China - in the context of the new Labour Contract Law.
• Vital aspects of employment law issues in China.
• Adapt people management style and approach to accommodate Chinese business culture.
I. An overview of the employment law framework in China - Foreign Business operations perspectives.
II. New Labour Contract Law introduction
• What potential workplace issues can this new labour contract law give rise to?
• Hiring and offering context: employment contracts and service contracts considerations (including key terms and conditions of employment - duration, probationary periods, salary, sick pay and holidays, notice, termination, confidentiality).
• Supplementary service company employment contracts.
• Employment of expatriates and foreigners: structuring employment contracts, employment arrangements, work and residency permits, individual tax planning.
III. Operating for success in a PRC business environment - case studies
• Termination of employment
• Disciplinary procedures
• Grounds for dismissal
• Redundancies and reorganizations
• Trade Union matters
• Consultation procedures
• Dispute resolution: grievances, disciplinary issues and dismissals
Who should attend
• HR & non HR Directors.
• Managers and Executives who deal with or will be handling HR matters in China.
• All business professionals who have a vested interest in applying the PRC employment laws to deliver an effective people management together with employees' issues resolutions to their companies in China.
William Toh has an extensive working experience in China since 1992 and having more than 25 years of working experience which covered areas including Education, Business Development, General Management, Human Resource Management, Leadership & Talent Development, Service Quality & Excellence and Sales Management.
William has served in leading companies in the areas of business consultation, general management and HR management working experiences which include AstraZeneca (Shanghai), Beecham SmithKline (now known as GSK, Singapore), Cisco (China), General Electric (Asia Pacific), HP (Singapore), IBM-Lotus Dev. (APAC), ITE (Singapore), Lenovo (Beijing), Legend-AOL (Beijing), Lotus Supermarket (China); Merchant Bank (Shenzhen), Motorola (South Asia, China), Philips (Singapore, China), Singapore Telecommunication (Singapore), SITA (Asia Pacific), Siemens (Singapore), Statschippac (Asia) and Standard Chartered Bank (Shanghai).
His previous HR & Services related roles included SVP, Corporate Development, VP, Nationwide HR&A (China); Director, Service Excellence; Director, OD &HR Services; Director, Corporate Leadership; Manager, HR Services (AP Regional); Manager, Sales Training Management; and Section Manager, HR & Training. His recent HR achievements include the successful implementation of the new labour contract and trade union setup at Lotus Supermarket (China)'s corporate head-office and across its 32 cities across North, South, South-west and East regions of China. Besides, he having assisted a local Chinese labour law firm-HR Laboroot (Shanghai) to publish a new labour contract law book.
William is a member of the Singapore Institute of Directors (SID) and attained the SID’s Executive Certificate in Directorship. He is also a member of the Project Management Institute (USA) since 2001. William is currently one of the trainers for HRSINGAPORE's Certified Human Resource Business Partner (CHRBP) Course.
William holds a MSc.in HRM, MBA (International Business), a Bachelor of Business Administration and a Diploma in Training and Management Development. He is also certified as a DISC assessor, 6-Sigma Transactional (Black-Belt), Global Sales Facilitator (IBM Global Sales), Education Vocational Instructor National Certification (VITC, Singapore), Leadership Development (GE, Crotonville) and a certified Performance Management & Empowered Workforce (Interactive Management) facilitator.
• 20 January 2021 (26th Run)
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
• Mandarin Orchard Singapore
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 850 for Community
• S$ 880 for Non-Subscribers
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Past Participants' Comments
• "Q & A was fantastic!" - Shazana,Whitford Pte Ltd
• "Very practical. Best seminar"
• "Trainer is very helpful, approachable in sharing his experience"
• "Trainer is highly knowledgeable, willing to share and engaging!"
• "All information useful. Contacts very helpful" - Julie Bassett, Constellation Brands
• "Trainer is very knowledgeable - William’s real life encounter and experiences doing HR in China." - Sarah Tham, DLE M&E Pte Ltd
• "Information on China employment law and William’s sharing on operating business in China and culture have been useful." - Anne Chee, L Catterton Singapore Pte Ltd
• "Almost all the information shared was useful! The course enabled me to have a much better understanding of China labour laws." - Lim Pei Yi, Tate & Lyle Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd
• "William has been there and done that. He is an excellent trainer for the subject matter. Well done!" - Ivy Oh, Certis CISCO Security
• "Real case studies, it’s very useful!"
• "It was very good to have a HR practitioner like William to cover this as he could apply his knowledge to all!" - Irene Lee, Singapore Press Holdings
• "Trainer has a particular genuine passion to help HR practitioners operating in China. He’s very experienced and seasoned with real-life experiences and these help to explain that in China, not everything is effective via ‘just-follow-law’"
Past Participant Organisations
• AAR, Abacus International, Aberdeen Asset Management Asia, Addvalue Communications, Aeroflex Asia, AETN Asia, Affymetrix, Afor, AFPD, Agilis Communication, AIG, Air Energi Group Singapore, AirPlus International, AKJ Marketing, AMB Property Corporation, Aneric Enterprise, ANT Labs, APMI, ARA Management, Ariba International Singapore, Arvato Digital Services, Asahi Kasei Plastics, Aspentech, atea Environmental Technology, Autosplice, Avaplas, Austasia Food, Aslan Pharmaceuticals Pte Ltd
• Banshing Industrial Co, Banyan Tree Hotels & Resorts, Barclays Capital Global Services, Beiersdorf, BG Asia Pacific, BHP Billiton Marketing, Bilcare, Biomin Singapore, BrightBeam, British American Tobacco, Brocade Communications, Brunel International SEA, Booking.com Singapore, BestWorld International Ltd, BLINK Design Group Pte Ltd, Brown-Forman Worldwide LLC
• Calgaz International LLC, Cameron (Singapore), CapitaLand Commercial, CapitaLand Retail, Cardinal Health Singapore, Cardo Group Asia Pacific, Cargo Community Network, Cartus Corporation, Celestica Electronics, Cendant Mobility, Certis CISCO Security, Chartered Semiconductor, Chem-Trend Singapore, Chevron Phillips Chemicals, CIBA Vision, CIBC, City Developments, City Gas, Civil Service College, Clarion Consultants, CloudPay Asia, C-MAR Asia, Combuilder, ComfortDelGro Corporation, CommScope Solutions, Concord Energy, Cooper Cameron, CPG Corporation, Cypress Semiconductor, Chem-Trend Singapore Pte Ltd, CW Group Pte Ltd, Constellation Brands, Criteo, Chong Lee Leong Seng Co. Ltd., Cocoba Pte Ltd
• Dek AP, Delta Design Singapore, Diversey Singapore, DORMA Production GmbH & Co KG, Dow Jones AER, Drake International, Dyna-Mac Engineering Services, Dynea Singapore, DLE M&E, Decode HR Pte Ltd, Design Bridge Asia Pte Ltd
• Eagle Services Asia, Ebel Industries, E-Book Systems, Ecquaria Technologies, EDS, EGL Asia Pacific Holdings, Elliott Ebara Singapore, Eltra Aeronautics, Ematco Industrial Pte Ltd, Enzer Electronics, Epicentre Holdings, ERCO Lighting Pte Ltd, Esko-Graphics, Esmart Holdings, Eteq Components, Eu Yan Sang, Europtronic Singapore, Exheat, ERNI Asia Holding Pte Ltd, EnGro Corporation Limited, Esterline Sensors Services Asia Pte Ltd, Exyte Asia-Pacific Holding Ltd
• Far East Management, FE Global Electronics, Federal International (2000), FDM Singapore Consulting Pte Ltd, First Data (Singapore), Flakt Woods Group, Flextech Holdings, Flextronics Design, Flowserve, FMC Technologies Singapore, FME Onyx, Fong Lee Metal Industries, Forefront Medical Technology, Fraser & Neave, Fujitsu PC, Future Electronics, First Filter International Pte Ltd
• General Electric, GEOS Language Centre, GlobeCast Asia, GMAC GRS, Goh Joo Hin, Gracezone Marketing, Grand Corpthorne, GroupM Asia Pacific Holdings, Groz-Beckert East Asia LLP, GSE Lining Technology Co., GTECH Far East
• Hatlapa AP, Haw Par Healthcare, Heidrick & Struggles, Heng Long Leather Co, HETAT, Hi-P International, Hong Leong Corporation Holdings, HS Compression & Process, HVS, Hyflux, Halcyon Agri Corporation, Huntsman Singapore Pte Ltd
• IDS Corporate Services, IDS Scheer Singapore, Illumina Singapore, Independant Consultant, I-Net Solutions, Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore, InFocus Systems Asia, Insight- Jin Hui Adjusters Co, Integrated Lens Technology, Intermec Technologies, International Enterprise Singapore, Intevac Asia, Irisnation Singapore, ING Bank N.V. Singapore Branch, IBC Asia (S) Pte Ltd, ICICI Bank Limited (Singapore Branch)
• J Ray McDermott Asia Pacific, Jardine Schindler, JDS Uniphase Singapore, John Bean Technologies Singapore, John Wiley & Sons Singapore, JFD Singapore Pte Ltd, JustCo Management Pte Ltd
•"K" Line, Kalzip Asia Pacific, Kellogg Brown & Root, Keppel Corporation, Keppel Land International, Keppel Singmarine, Kewill, KLA-Tencor Singapore, Koelnmesse, KS Distribution, KSP Infosystems, Kumon Asia & Oceania, Kaplan Learning Institute Pte Ltd
• L&F Branded Lifestyle, L3 Communications, Lawton & Yeo Design Associates, LexisNexis, LinkedIn Singapore, Lionex Electronics, Litespeed Education, Lotus Engineering Malaysia Sdn Bhd, LSI Technologies, L Catterton Singapore, LHN Group, LEGO Singapore
• Makino Asia, Matsushita Avionics Systems, McAfee (Singapore), McGraw-Hill Education, MediCorp, Medtronic Singapore Operations, Megachem, Mellon Consultants, Meson Far East, Metal Machines Engineering Services, Methode Electronics, MFS Technology, MG Digital, Micro Mechanics, Milliken Asia Pacific, Millium Resources, Millward Brown, Ministry of Manpower, MIT, Molex Far East, MSI Global Pte Ltd
• Nagravision Asia, Nanyang Polytechnic, NCS, Netsys Consulting, Newera Equipment, Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Nirwana, Norstar Shipping (Asia), Novartis, NTU, NTUC First Campus Co-operative, NTUC LearningHub, NORD/LB Singapore Branch, Nutanix Singapore Pte Ltd
• Oakwell Engineering, OCBC Bank, Ong&Ong, Oticon, OTTO Waste Systems, OSIsoft Asia, Onwards Media Group
• PaC Components, PAC Instruments Asia, Page One, Pan Asia Logistics Singapore, Panasonic Avionics Corporation, Pacific Life Re Limited, Singapore Branch, Panasonic Electronic Devices, Panasonic Industrial, Panduit, Partner Reinsurance Europe SE (Singapore Branch), PC Holdings, PCI, PCS Peripherals, Petracarbon, Petroliam Nasional Berhad, Petronas, Philips Electronics, Planet One, Polycom Asia Pacific, Premas, Premiere Conferencing, Principal Global Investors (S), Prosafe Offshore Services, PT. AKR Corporindo Tbk, Jakarta - Indonesia, Pacific International Lines (Pte) Ltd, PSGOURMET Pte Ltd
• Qatar Airways, Qioptiq Singapore
• R M Martin, Raffles Medical Group, Raritan Asia Pacific, RCL Feeder, Redtec Industries, Reed Elsevier (Singapore) 2008, Refco, Research In Motion Singapore, Roche Diagnostics, Rohde & Schwarz System & Communications Asia, Rolls-Royce, Roper Southeast Asia LLC, RTP Company, Rockwell Automation Asia Pacific Business Center, Radio Holland Singapore Pte Ltd, Raffles Medical Group Ltd
• Sabic, Sabre International LLC, SAGE Publications Asia-Pacific, Save Our Planet Investments, Saxo Capital Markets, SBM Asia Services, Seagate, Seagate Singapore International Headquarters Pte. Ltd, Select Catering Services, Sennheiser Electronic Asia, Ship Equip, SIA Cargo, Silberline Asia Pacific Inc, Sin Ghee Huat Corporation, Sin Soon Huat, Sing Lun & Co, Singapore Computer System, Singapore Petroleum Company, Singapore Press Holdings, Singapore Technologies Kinetics, Singapore Technologies Marine, Singapore Tourism Board, Singex Venues, SingHealth, SITA, SMAP, Smiths Aerospace Pacific Service Centre, SMRT Corporation, Sonoco Asia Management LLC, SPIE Oil & Gas Services ASP, SRS-Worldhotels, SsangYong, ST Aviation Services Co, Starwood AP Hotels & Resorts, Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP), Stella Chemifa, STT Communications, Sud-Chemie SEA, Sulzer Chemtech, Surbana Site Supervisors, Sushi Deli, Svenska Handelsbanken, Symantec Asia Pacific, Systimax Solutions, Sembcorp EOSM, SingEx Holdings, Scoot Tigerair Pte Ltd, Singapore (Cambodia) International Academy Co., Ltd, Sibelco Asia Pte Ltd, Sheares Healthcare Management Pte Ltd, SOFEC Floating Systems Pte Ltd, Singapore Power Limited, SP Group
• Tandberg Asia Pacific, Tata Communications International, Tate and Lyle Singapore, Temasek Polytechnic, Teva Pharmaceutical Investments Singapore, The Filter Group, The Laryngeal Mask Company, The McGraw-Hill Companies, The Polyolefin Company, Times Publishing, Tiong Seng Contractors, Tiong Woon, Toll Logistics Asia, TR Asia Investment Holdings, Trio-Tech, TriQuint International, Triumph Development Corp, TTI Electronics, Tuan Sing Holdings, Tate & Lyle Asia Pacific, Transas Marine Pacific, Temasek International Pte Ltd
• United Arab Shipping Company, United Arab Shipping Company, UCC Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Vacances (M) Sdn Bhd, VARTA, Veritas Geophysical (Asia Pacific), Visa International, Vitol Asia, Vertex Venture Management Pte Ltd, Vitol Asia Pte Ltd, Verizon Hong Kong Ltd, Vifor Pharma Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Visa Worldwide Pte Ltd
• WD Media (Singapore), WesTech Electronics, Whatman Asia Pacific, Wong Hing Long Technologies, White Clarke Asia Pacific, Whitford Pte Ltd, WATG Singapore, Inc, West UC Singapore Private Limited
• Xilinx, Xyratex
• Zodiac Services Asia, Zentek Engineering, Zuellig Pharma Specialty Solutions Group Pte Ltd