This seminar clarifies and shares the PRC employment law framework and changes with practical tips and techniques
(Face-to-face training at our hotel venues which are certified SG Clean)
This course offers to help participants to understand the development of the practice of labour laws in China. It will provides detailed attention to compliance with the labour and employment laws which are crucial for the success in managing its manpower resources in China.
Topics include the definition of the employer and employee, the duties of employers and employees, anti-discrimination, labour dispatch, minimum wage, termination of labour contracts, compulsory social insurances and housing funds, labour disputes and frequent asked questions.
The training materials provided will serve as a useful guide to HR professionals at companies with Chinese employees or doing businesses in China.
• Introduction & History of Chinese Legislation System
• Legal framework: Employment Laws
• Contracts of Employment
• Recruiting, Interviewing, Screening and Hiring Employees
• Hiring Employees from Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan
• Managing Performance & Conduct
• Termination of Employees for Performance or Disciplinary Reasons
• Layoff, Reductions in Workforce, and/or Redundancies as a Results of Job Elimination or Restructuring
• Use of Alternative Workforce: Independent Contractors, Contract Employees and Temporary or Leased Workers
• 6 Myths about China Employee Probation
• 6 Common Myths about China Employment Laws
• The Myths & the Realities of Employee Severance
• Working Conditions: Working Hours & Payment of Wages By Statute or Collective Agreements
• Other Working Conditions and Benefits: By Statutes, Collective Agreement or Company Policy
• Workers’ Compensation
• Smoking in the Workplace
• Required Notice and Posting
• Frequently Asked Questions about China Labour Law
Reference materials provided on:
• Labour and Employment Law Ramifications Upon Acquisition or Sale of Business
• Collective Bargaining with Trade Unions: Employees’ Rights to Strike and Company’s Right to Continue Business Operations
• Obligation to Provide a Safe and Healthy Workplace
• Immigration, Secondment and Foreign Assignment
• Restrictive Covenants and Protection of Trade Secrets & Confidential Information
• Protection of Whistleblowing Claims
• Prohibition of Discrimination in the Workplace
• Use of Drugs and Alcohol in the Workplace
• Grooming Requirements
• Privacy, Technology and Transfer of Personal Data
• Workplace Investigation for Complaints
• Affirmative Action / Non-Discrimination Requirements
• Resolution of Labour, Discrimination and Employment Disputes: Litigation, Arbitration, Mediation and Conciliation
• Employee Record keeping, Data Protection, and Employee Access to personal Files and Records
Who should attend
• HR & non HR Directors.
• Managers and Executives who deal with or will be handling HR matters in China.
• All business professionals who have a vested interest in applying the PRC employment laws to deliver effective people management together with employees' issues resolutions to their companies in China.
Michael Giam is an international business professional with decades of senior management experience working in highly complex and cross-cultural business environments. Michael’s international breadth of experience spans both in public institutions and private corporations focusing mainly on business fundamentals and human capital to establish clear and achievable strategic business goals.
From a Senior HR Business Partner to Senior Vice President, Michael has worked for several MNCs including CWT Distribution Limited (Singapore), International Data Corporation (USA), the Millennium & Copthorne International Hotels Group (Singapore), Marriott International (in China) and Melco China Resorts (Holding) Limited (Macau). In his tenure at CWT, Michael was appointed by the CEO as the Management Representative to lead in corporate culture development and change. He has developed, implemented and coached several action programs that were necessary in the development of a learning culture within the organization and beyond. In 2003, Michael was selected by the industry to become one of the Executive Committee Members representing the Singapore hospitality industry to provide value-added initiatives and plans to the local government in enhancing the skills and value of the local workforce. He is active in helping the community, especially those unemployed and in poverty to reskill them and bring them back to the workforce.
In recent years Michael worked in China for Marriott to open new properties and some of its flagship hotels. Michael also worked for the Society of Petroleum Engineers in Malaysia as their Asia Pacific Director of Operations responsible for organizing and managing industry-related MICE activities. In his tenure, he has also developed good relationship with key stakeholders and decision makers in many national oil companies and international oil and gas corporations. Michael also worked as an independent consultant handling several pre-opening and restructuring projects. This include assisting the GM in opening the first Wyndham flagship hotel in Singapore; worked as an interim General Manager to open an exclusive club for arts & culture professionals in Guangzhou; developed and implement a comprehensive strategic Customer Service Excellence Program for United Overseas Bank in China as well as providing professional HR service & consultation to the new rebranded Hotel Jen in Singapore.
Michael has always been interested to develop the next generation of talents and leaders. Since 1995, Michael has served as an adjunct faculty for several local and foreign universities as well as some adult learning institutions on topics including Human Resource Management, Coaching & Counselling, Business Contract & Maritime Law, Organizational Behavior, Customer Service Training and many others.
Michael received his MBA from an Australian University and holds an Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (Facilitated Learning). He is a registered Practicing Management Consultant (PMC), a recognized SkillsFuture Mentor for SMEs in Singapore and also a Certified Senior Professional with IHRP Singapore.
• 14 June 2023 (33rd Run) - Confirmed
• 26 September 2023 (34th Run)
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
• Sheraton Towers Singapore (33rd Run)
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 918.00 w/GST ($850.00) for Community
• S$ 950.40 w/GST ($880.00) for Non-Subscribers
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Lunch will be provided
Past Participants' Comments
• "The training material is very comprehensive and Michael (Trainer) is knowledgeable!"
Past Participant Organisations
• 10x Genomics Pte Ltd, AAR, Abacus International, Aberdeen Asset Management Asia, Addvalue Communications, Aeroflex Asia, AETN Asia, Affymetrix, Afor, AFPD, Agilis Communication, AIG, Air Energi Group Singapore, AirPlus International, AKJ Marketing, AMB Property Corporation, Aneric Enterprise, ANT Labs, APMI, ARA Management, Ariba International Singapore, Arvato Digital Services, Asahi Kasei Plastics, Aspentech, atea Environmental Technology, Autosplice, Avaplas, Austasia Food, Aslan Pharmaceuticals Pte Ltd, Almac Pharmaceutical Services Pte Ltd
• Banshing Industrial Co, Banyan Tree Hotels & Resorts, Barclays Capital Global Services, Beiersdorf, BG Asia Pacific, BHP Billiton Marketing, Bilcare, Biomin Singapore, BrightBeam, British American Tobacco, Brocade Communications, Brunel International SEA, Booking.com Singapore, BestWorld International Ltd, BLINK Design Group Pte Ltd, Brown-Forman Worldwide LLC, Brunel International South East Asia Pte Ltd
• Calgaz International LLC, Cameron (Singapore), CapitaLand Commercial, CapitaLand Retail, Cardinal Health Singapore, Cardo Group Asia Pacific, Cargo Community Network, Cartus Corporation Pte Ltd, Celestica Electronics, Cendant Mobility, Certis CISCO Security, Chartered Semiconductor, Chem-Trend Singapore, Chevron Phillips Chemicals, CIBA Vision, CIBC, City Developments, City Gas, Civil Service College, Clarion Consultants, CloudPay Asia, C-MAR Asia, Combuilder, ComfortDelGro Corporation, CommScope Solutions, Concord Energy, Cooper Cameron, CPG Corporation, Cypress Semiconductor, Chem-Trend Singapore Pte Ltd, CW Group Pte Ltd, Constellation Brands, Criteo, Chong Lee Leong Seng Co. Ltd., Cocoba Pte Ltd, Campari Singapore Pte Ltd, Cooley SG LLP, CloudPay Asia Pte Ltd, CloudPay Philippines, Inc
• Dek AP, Delta Design Singapore, Diversey Singapore, DORMA Production GmbH & Co KG, Dow Jones AER, Drake International, Dyna-Mac Engineering Services, Dynea Singapore, DLE M&E, Decode HR Pte Ltd, Design Bridge Asia Pte Ltd, Deutsche Telekom Global Business Solutions Singapore Pte Ltd
• Eagle Services Asia, Ebel Industries, E-Book Systems, Ecquaria Technologies, EDS, EGL Asia Pacific Holdings, Elliott Ebara Singapore, Eltra Aeronautics, Ematco Industrial Pte Ltd, Enzer Electronics, Epicentre Holdings, ERCO Lighting Pte Ltd, Esko-Graphics, Esmart Holdings, Eteq Components, Eu Yan Sang, Europtronic Singapore, Exheat, ERNI Asia Holding Pte Ltd, EnGro Corporation Limited, Esterline Sensors Services Asia Pte Ltd, Exyte Asia-Pacific Holding Ltd, Elite International Logistics Singapore Pte Ltd, Excel Marco Management & Consulting Pte Ltd
• Far East Management, FE Global Electronics, Federal International (2000), FDM Singapore Consulting Pte Ltd, First Data (Singapore), Flakt Woods Group, Flextech Holdings, Flextronics Design, Flowserve, FMC Technologies Singapore, FME Onyx, Fong Lee Metal Industries, Forefront Medical Technology, Fraser & Neave, Fujitsu PC, Future Electronics, First Filter International Pte Ltd
• General Electric, GEOS Language Centre, GlobeCast Asia, GMAC GRS, Goh Joo Hin, Gracezone Marketing, Grand Corpthorne, GroupM Asia Pacific Holdings, Groz-Beckert East Asia LLP, GSE Lining Technology Co., GTECH Far East, Graebel APAC Center Pte Ltd
• Hatlapa AP, Haw Par Healthcare, Heidrick & Struggles, Heng Long Leather Co, HETAT, Hi-P International, Hong Leong Corporation Holdings, HS Compression & Process, HVS, Hyflux, Halcyon Agri Corporation, Huntsman Singapore Pte Ltd
• IDS Corporate Services, IDS Scheer Singapore, Illumina Singapore, Independant Consultant, I-Net Solutions, Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore, InFocus Systems Asia, Insight- Jin Hui Adjusters Co, Integrated Lens Technology, Intermec Technologies, International Enterprise Singapore, Intevac Asia, Irisnation Singapore, ING Bank N.V. Singapore Branch, IBC Asia (S) Pte Ltd, ICICI Bank Limited (Singapore Branch)
• J Ray McDermott Asia Pacific, Jardine Schindler, JDS Uniphase Singapore, John Bean Technologies Singapore, John Wiley & Sons Singapore, JFD Singapore Pte Ltd, JustCo Management Pte Ltd
•"K" Line, Kalzip Asia Pacific, Kellogg Brown & Root, Keppel Corporation, Keppel Land International, Keppel Singmarine, Kewill, KLA-Tencor Singapore, Koelnmesse, KS Distribution, KSP Infosystems, Kumon Asia & Oceania, Kaplan Learning Institute Pte Ltd
• L&F Branded Lifestyle, L3 Communications, Lawton & Yeo Design Associates, LexisNexis, LinkedIn Singapore, Lionex Electronics, Litespeed Education, Lotus Engineering Malaysia Sdn Bhd, LSI Technologies, L Catterton Singapore, LHN Group, LEGO Singapore Pte Ltd
• Makino Asia, Matsushita Avionics Systems, McAfee (Singapore), McGraw-Hill Education, MediCorp, Medtronic Singapore Operations, Megachem, Mellon Consultants, Meson Far East, Metal Machines Engineering Services, Methode Electronics, MFS Technology, MG Digital, Micro Mechanics, Milliken Asia Pacific, Millium Resources, Millward Brown, Ministry of Manpower, MIT, Molex Far East, MSI Global Pte Ltd, MDE Singapore Pte Ltd, Merlin Entertainments Singapore Pte Ltd
• Nagravision Asia, Nanyang Polytechnic, NCS, Netsys Consulting, Newera Equipment, Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Nirwana, Norstar Shipping (Asia), Novartis, NTU, NTUC First Campus Co-operative, NTUC LearningHub, NORD/LB Singapore Branch, Nutanix Singapore Pte Ltd
• Oakwell Engineering, OCBC Bank, Ong&Ong, Oticon, OTTO Waste Systems, OSIsoft Asia, Onwards Media Group, On Site Alignment Pte Ltd
• PaC Components, PAC Instruments Asia, Page One, Pan Asia Logistics Singapore, Panasonic Avionics Corporation, Pacific Life Re Limited, Singapore Branch, Panasonic Electronic Devices, Panasonic Industrial, Panduit, Partner Reinsurance Europe SE (Singapore Branch), PC Holdings, PCI, PCS Peripherals, Petracarbon, Petroliam Nasional Berhad, Petronas, Philips Electronics, Planet One, Polycom Asia Pacific, Premas, Premiere Conferencing, Principal Global Investors (S), Prosafe Offshore Services, PT. AKR Corporindo Tbk, Jakarta - Indonesia, Pacific International Lines (Pte) Ltd, PSGOURMET Pte Ltd, Preqin Pte Ltd
• Qatar Airways, Qioptiq Singapore
• R M Martin, Raffles Medical Group, Raritan Asia Pacific, RCL Feeder, Redtec Industries, Reed Elsevier (Singapore) 2008, Refco, Research In Motion Singapore, Roche Diagnostics, Rohde & Schwarz System & Communications Asia, Rolls-Royce, Roper Southeast Asia LLC, RTP Company, Rockwell Automation Asia Pacific Business Center, Radio Holland Singapore Pte Ltd, Raffles Medical Group Ltd
• Sabic, Sabre International LLC, SAGE Publications Asia-Pacific, Save Our Planet Investments, Saxo Capital Markets, SBM Asia Services, Seagate, Seagate Singapore International Headquarters Pte. Ltd, Select Catering Services, Sennheiser Electronic Asia, Ship Equip, SIA Cargo, Silberline Asia Pacific Inc, Sin Ghee Huat Corporation, Sin Soon Huat, Sing Lun & Co, Singapore Computer System, Singapore Petroleum Company, Singapore Press Holdings, Singapore Technologies Kinetics, Singapore Technologies Marine, Singapore Tourism Board, Singex Venues, SingHealth, SITA, SMAP, Smiths Aerospace Pacific Service Centre, SMRT Corporation, Sonoco Asia Management LLC, SPIE Oil & Gas Services ASP, SRS-Worldhotels, SsangYong, ST Aviation Services Co, Starwood AP Hotels & Resorts, Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP), Stella Chemifa, STT Communications, Sud-Chemie SEA, Sulzer Chemtech, Surbana Site Supervisors, Sushi Deli, Svenska Handelsbanken, Symantec Asia Pacific, Systimax Solutions, Sembcorp EOSM, SingEx Holdings, Scoot Tigerair Pte Ltd, Singapore (Cambodia) International Academy Co., Ltd, Sibelco Asia Pte Ltd, Sheares Healthcare Management Pte Ltd, SOFEC Floating Systems Pte Ltd, Singapore Power Limited, SP Group, Soitec Microelectronics Singapore Pte Ltd, Sunray Woodcraft Construction Pte Ltd, Sea Consortium Pte Ltd (X-Press Feeders), Stepan Company, Sembcorp Development Ltd
• Tandberg Asia Pacific, Tata Communications International, Tate and Lyle Singapore, Temasek Polytechnic, Teva Pharmaceutical Investments Singapore, The Filter Group, The Laryngeal Mask Company, The McGraw-Hill Companies, The Polyolefin Company, Times Publishing, Tiong Seng Contractors, Tiong Woon, Toll Logistics Asia, TR Asia Investment Holdings, Trio-Tech, TriQuint International, Triumph Development Corp, TTI Electronics, Tuan Sing Holdings, Tate & Lyle Asia Pacific, Transas Marine Pacific, Temasek International Pte Ltd, Thome Ship Management Pte Ltd
• United Arab Shipping Company, United Arab Shipping Company, UCC Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Vacances (M) Sdn Bhd, VARTA, Veritas Geophysical (Asia Pacific), Visa International, Vitol Asia, Vertex Venture Management Pte Ltd, Vitol Asia Pte Ltd, Verizon Hong Kong Ltd, Vifor Pharma Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Visa Worldwide Pte Ltd, Velocity Global SG Pte Ltd, Viswalab Singapore Pte Ltd
• WD Media (Singapore), WesTech Electronics, Whatman Asia Pacific, Wong Hing Long Technologies, White Clarke Asia Pacific, Whitford Pte Ltd, WATG Singapore, Inc, West UC Singapore Private Limited, Wise Asia-Pacific Pte Ltd
• Xilinx, Xyratex
• Zodiac Services Asia, Zentek Engineering, Zuellig Pharma Specialty Solutions Group Pte Ltd