Get an overview and update of the labour laws and HR practices in Hong Kong during this one-day seminar. Please scroll down for more information.
The Employment Ordinance is the main piece of legislation governing conditions of employment in Hong Kong. Since its enactment in 1968, the benefits provided for under the Ordinance have been substantially improved. It now covers a comprehensive range of employment protection and benefits for employees including wage protection, rest days, protection against anti-union discrimination etc.
The aim of this one day program is to introduce the major provisions of the Employment Ordinance in Hong Kong, including wages, leaves and termination of contracts, as well as the amendments in 2015. On top of that, participants will understand the Minimum Wage Ordinance and the employer’s obligation under the Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF) Schemes Ordinance. Lastly, they will be updated with the latest amendments made to Labour Laws and be able to draft a standard employment contract in Hong Kong.
(Face-to-face training with safe distancing and precautionary measures undertaken at our hotel venues which are certified SG Clean. We will continue to adopt a small class size for all our courses)
• Introduce the major provisions of the Employment Ordinance (including wages, leave and termination of contracts etc.)
• Minimum Wage Ordinance and employer’s obligation under the Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF) Schemes Ordinance.
• Amendment to the Ordinance in 2015.
• Latest amendments made to Labour Laws.
• Drafting of standard HK Employment Contract.
This seminar focuses mainly on some of the most Frequent Asked Questions about Hong Kong Labor Legislation:
I. In Employment Ordinance, Cap. 57:
• Employees protected under the Employment Ordinance.
• Contract of Employment.
• Termination of Contracts of Employment.
• Rest Days.
• Statutory Holidays.
• Sick Leave, Maternity Leave, Annual Leave.
• End of Year Payment.
• Employment Protection.
• Severance Payment and Long Service Payment.
• Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes and Employees' Benefits.
II. In Minimum Wage Ordinance, Cap. 608:
• Basic principles in computing minimum wage.
• Hours worked.
• Wage items and wages payable.
• Additional remuneration.
• Reckoning and payment arrangement of commission.
• Computing statutory entitlements.
• Keeping record of total number of hours worked.
III. In Employees’ Compensation Ordinance, Cap. 282:
• Compulsory Insurance.
• Notification of Accident.
• Fatal or Non-Fatal Cases outside Hong Kong.
• Suspected Cases of Prescribed Occupational Disease.
• Calculation of Earnings.
• Calculation of Medical Expenses.
• Procedures for Medical Clearance and Assessment of Permanent Loss of Earning Capacity.
• Settlement of Employees’ Compensation Cases by Paper Medical Clearance.
• Employees’ Compensation after Resignation of Injured Employee.
• Doubtful Employees' Compensation Case.
IV. Latest Amendments made to Labor Laws
• The Employment (Amendment) Ordinance 2014 on statutory paternity leave commenced on 27 February 2015.
• Raising the Levels of Compensation under the Employees’ Compensation Ordinance, the Pneumoconiosis and Mesothelioma (Compensation) Ordinance, the Occupational Deafness (Compensation) Ordinance effective from 5 March 2015.
V. Standard HK Employment Contract.
Who should attend
• HR & non-HR Directors.
• Managers and Executives who deal with or will be handling HR matters in Hong Kong.
• All business professionals who have a vested interest in applying the Hong Kong SAR Employment Ordinance to deliver an effective people management together with employees' issues resolutions to their companies in Hong Kong.
Michael Giam is an international business professional with decades of senior management experience working in highly complex and cross-cultural business environments. Michael’s international breadth of experience spans both in public institutions and private corporations focusing mainly on business fundamentals and human capital to establish clear and achievable strategic business goals.
From a Senior HR Business Partner to Senior Vice President, Michael has worked for several MNCs including CWT Distribution Limited (Singapore), International Data Corporation (USA), the Millennium & Copthorne International Hotels Group (Singapore), Marriott International (in China) and Melco China Resorts (Holding) Limited (Macau). In his tenure at CWT, Michael was appointed by the CEO as the Management Representative to lead in corporate culture development and change. He has developed, implemented and coached several action programs that were necessary in the development of a learning culture within the organization and beyond. In 2003, Michael was selected by the industry to become one of the Executive Committee Members representing the Singapore hospitality industry to provide value-added initiatives and plans to the local government in enhancing the skills and value of the local workforce. He is active in helping the community, especially those unemployed and in poverty to reskill them and bring them back to the workforce.
In recent years Michael worked in China for Marriott to open new properties and some of its flagship hotels. Michael also worked for the Society of Petroleum Engineers in Malaysia as their Asia Pacific Director of Operations responsible for organizing and managing industry-related MICE activities. In his tenure, he has also developed good relationship with key stakeholders and decision makers in many national oil companies and international oil and gas corporations. Michael also worked as an independent consultant handling several pre-opening and restructuring projects. This include assisting the GM in opening the first Wyndham flagship hotel in Singapore; worked as an interim General Manager to open an exclusive club for arts & culture professionals in Guangzhou; developed and implement a comprehensive strategic Customer Service Excellence Program for United Overseas Bank in China as well as providing professional HR service & consultation to the new rebranded Hotel Jen in Singapore.
Michael has always been interested to develop the next generation of talents and leaders. Since 1995, Michael has served as an adjunct faculty for several local and foreign universities as well as some adult learning institutions on topics including Human Resource Management, Coaching & Counselling, Business Contract & Maritime Law, Organizational Behavior, Customer Service Training and many others.
Michael received his MBA from an Australian University and holds an Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (Facilitated Learning). He is a registered Practicing Management Consultant (PMC), a recognized SkillsFuture Mentor for SMEs in Singapore and also a Certified Senior Professional with IHRP Singapore.
• 15 September 2022 (12th Run) - Confirmed
• 12 January 2023 (13th Run)
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
• Sheraton Towers Singapore
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 850 for Community
• S$ 880 for Non-Subscribers
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Lunch will be provided
Past Participants' Comments
• "Perfect!" - Aida Shanks, Black Box Network Services Singapore Pte Ltd
Past Participant Organisations
• Alexander Mann Solutions BPO (Singapore), Arvato Digital Services, Aspial Corporation Ltd, Advanced Energy, ARA Management Pte Ltd, AirTrunk Singapore Pte Ltd
• Blackmores International, Bank of Singapore, BeathChapman (Pte. Ltd.)
• CW Group, Capital International, Inc., CWT, Cartrack Technologies South East Asia Pte Ltd, CAE HK Limited Inc., Cocoba Pte Ltd, Cooley SG LLP, Citibank
• ERNI Asia Holding, Esker Document Automation Asia Pte Ltd, Eu Yan Sang International Ltd, Enable Consulting Pte Ltd
• FDM Singapore Consulting, Flow Traders Asia Pte Ltd
• Groz-Beckert East Asia LLP
• Infosys Consulting, Info-Tech Systems Integrators Pte Ltd
• LHN Group Pte Ltd
• Nikon Singapore Pte Ltd
• OCBC Bank
• Principal Global Investors (S)
• Redwood Interior, Robert Walters Singapore, Radio Holland Singapore Pte Ltd, Rapiscan System Pte Ltd, Renew Group Private Limited, Resonant Networks Pte Ltd
• Silkroad Property Partners, Swiss-Asia Financial Services, Shopping Bag (S) Pte Ltd, Spencer Ogden Pte Ltd
• Teva Pharmaceutical Investment Singapore Pte Ltd
• Whyze Solutions Pte Ltd
• YHS (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Ya Kun International Pte Ltd