Preview and learn more about the critical legislations governing Japanese employment and social contracts during this seminar on the labour laws in Japan
The third-largest economy in the world, Japan is known for its technological advancement and economic power. Similar to other developed countries, the service sector in Japan is the largest contributor to its economy, characterised by many long-established businesses (Shinise). Understanding the local market is key to your business’ success. As an employer, it is important to understand Japanese labor laws and establish employment practices that are legally compliant.
The Japan Employment Act, also known as the Labor Standards Act, is a crucial piece of legislation that governs the employment relationship in Japan. It establishes the rights and obligations of both employers and employees, ensuring fair and equitable treatment in the workplace. Understanding the provisions of this Act is essential for employers, HR professionals, employees, and anyone involved in the Japanese labour market.
This course will help one to develop a clear understanding of the legal framework that shapes employment relationships in Japan and enable one to navigate the complexities of the labour market, make informed decisions, and ensure compliance with the law.
• Learn the legal framework governing employment in Japan
• Basic understanding of Labor Standards Act, Labor Contracts Act, and other legislations that affect Human Resource
• Acquire the basics of employment law for hiring, evaluating and managing employees
• Understand the different types of employment contracts and their legal requirements
• Grasp the difference among types of employment - temporary, fixed-term, dispatch or outsource worker and independent contractor and the types of employee benefits
• Understand the rules and regulations protecting and promoting the interests of workers and employees, scope of which includes wages, equal opportunities, safety, health, holidays, working conditions, and employee welfare
• Familiarize oneself with the different types of paid and unpaid leave
• Keep up-to-date on the constant amendments to these labour laws
1. Japan and its prefectures
• Court of Law
2. Existing Legislations/Existing Labour Laws
• Major Labour Legislations
• Labour Standards Act (1947)
• Labour Contract Act (2007)
• Industrial Safety and Health Act (1972)
• Equal Opportunity Act (1972)
• Part-time/Fixed-Term Labour Act (1993)
• Childcare / Nursing Care Leave Act (1991
• Minimum Wage Act (1959)
3. Who is Covered under the Main Laws?
4. Employment Contract
• Does it need to be written? Are there any Implied Terms?
• Collective Agreements
• Can the employer change the terms and conditions of employment contracts?
5. Who is a Workman
• Minimum Age
• Classification of Workers
• Regular - Sei-sha-in
• Part Time
• Fixed-Term Workers
• Independent Contractor/Self Employed
• To what extent are temporary, fixed-term, part-time workers and dispatch workers entitled to the same rights and benefits as full-time regular workers?
6. Minimum Wage
• Main Prefectures
7. Wage and Bonus
• Guarantee of Wages
• Principles of Wage Payment
8. Public Holidays
9. Working Hours
• 36 Agreement
• Reason for Overtime Payment
• Flexible System
• Discretionary Working Hours
10. Worker Dispatching Act
• Equal Pay for Equal Work
• Prohibitions for Dispatching
11. Types of Leave
• Annual Leave
• Maternity Leave
• Childcare Leave
• Family Care Leave
• Leave of Absence
• Paternity Leave
12. Work Rules
• What is required by the Law?
13. Reorganisation of Business
• Company Split
• Do you keep or retrench the workers?
14. Termination of Employment
• Notice of termination of employment. How is the notice period determined?
• What protection do employees have against dismissal? Under what circumstances is an employee treated as being dismissed? Is consent from a third party required before an employer can dismiss?
• Employment Adjustment Subsidy
• Are there any categories of employees who enjoy special protection against dismissal?
15. Employment of Foreigners
• Type of Visa to enter and work in Japan
• Specific Skilled Worker
• Technical Intern Trainees
16. Safety and Hygiene
• Who are required to undergo medical check-up? When?
• Is there a need to appoint a medical doctor at Company’s facility?
• What protections do employees have?
• Prevention of harassment (sexual harassment, harassment related to pregnancy, childbirth, child care leaves, abuse of authority)
18. Restraint of Trade
• Can you enforce Restrictive Clauses in Employment Contracts?
19. Social Security System
• Employment insurance and Social Insurance – do employers or employees pay or both have to pay?
20. Income Tax
• Do employees have to pay? Can such be deducted from employees’ wage?
Who should attend
• HR Directors, HR Managers, HR Executives & anyone who deal with or will be handling employment related matters in Japan.
Elsie Low is a HR Practitioner with over 25 years of experience. She has specific experience and strength in talent acquisition, human resource development, compensation and benefits development, payroll administration and management, talent management, employee communication and relations. She is a visionary and performance focused professional. Coupled with that, she has excellent business acumen with strong work ethics.
Elsie has worked in various multi-national and local SMEs and in different sectors such as manufacturing, electronics, construction, engineering and oil & gas. Her span of responsibility and experience are spent in various regional and leadership roles across different regions in ASEAN, Australia, China and Middle East.
Elsie graduated with a Bachelor Degree in Human Resource and a MBA in Finance. She also possesses the Certificate in Workplace Basics from Fairwork Commission Australia and an Advanced Certificate of Training and Assessment (ACTA).
She is currently one of the trainers for HRSINGAPORE's HR Certification Courses.
• 15 December 2023 (12th Run) - Confirmed
• 22 February 2024 (13th Run)
• 9 April 2024 (14th Run)
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
• Sheraton Towers Singapore (12th Run)
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 918.00 w/GST ($850.00) for Community
• S$ 950.40 w/GST ($880.00) for Non-Subscribers
(Prices inclusive of GST at 8%, applicable before 1 Jan 2024)
• S$ 926.50 w/GST ($850.00) for Community
• S$ 959.20 w/GST ($880.00) for Non-Subscribers
(Price inclusive of GST at 9%, applicable with effect from 1 Jan 2024)
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Past Participants' Comments
• "The content was practical and fulfill the expectations I had on the course."
• "The topics and discussion were really helpful in understanding employment laws in Japan and the Japanese work culture and practices."
Past Participant Organisations
• Ashland Singapore Pte Ltd, Aberdeen Asset Management Asia Ltd, Aeroflex Asia Limited, AETN Asia Pte Ltd, ARA Management Pte Ltd, Alexander Mann BPO Solutions (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Almac Pharmaceutical Services Pte Ltd, Amazon Web Services Singapore Private Limited
• Brunel International South East Asia Pte Ltd, Booking.com Singapore, Bystronic Pte Ltd
• Covance (Asia) Pte Ltd, Chem-Trend Singapore Pte Ltd, CommScope Solutions Singapore Pte Ltd, Criteo Singapore Pte. Ltd, CapitaLand Shared Services Pte Ltd, Clearstream Banking S.A., Cocoba Pte Ltd
• Digital Investment Management Pte Ltd, DEUTZ Asia-Pacific Pte Ltd, DigitalBridge APAC Pte Ltd
• Everett Charles Technologies
• Flexlink Systems Pte Ltd
• Groz-Beckert East Asia LLP, GIC Private Limited
• Haworth Singapore Pte Ltd, HWI Healy World International Pte Ltd
• ICD Security Solutions Pte Ltd
• JDS Uniphase Singapore Pte Ltd, JDA Software Asia Pte Ltd
• Koch Business Solutions - Asia Pacific, Konecranes, Kester Components Pte Ltd, KUKA Robot Automation (M) Sdn. Bhd
• LEGO Singapore, LinkedIn Singapore Pte Ltd, Leaseweb Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Lumen Technologies Singapore Pte Ltd
• Mapletree Investments Pte Ltd, Marriott International Customer Engagement Centre, Molnlycke Health Care Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Nutanix Singapore Pte Ltd, NICE Systems (Singapore) Pte Ltd
• Panasonic Avionics Corporation, PayPal, Palfinger Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Rolls-Royce Singapore Pte Ltd, Redwood Interior Pte Ltd, Remy Cointreau International Pte Ltd
• Servicenow, SITA Information Networking Computing (Asia Pacific) Pte Ltd, Singapore Tourism Board, Saxo Capital Markets Pte Ltd, Sartorius Stedim Singapore Pte Ltd
• Tata Communications, TripAdvisor Singapore, TriQuint International Pte Ltd
• Zendesk Singapore Pte Ltd