During this seminar, participants will preview the critical legislations governing Japanese employment and social contracts
As the business environment in Europe has deteriorated tremendously and the picture in the United States is also not so sanguine, the focus of global commerce has now shifted to Asia. As the third largest economy in the world, and one of the only two Asian members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) which represents 34 of the most developed nations, Japan is one of the lynchpins of the economic stability in the region.
A country lesser understood than known in terms of its business environment and its governing frameworks, Japan has undergone many demographic, social, economic and political changes that have direct impact on its business, all of which affects the livelihood of its citizens. Therefore, it is timely to look at the framework within which employment and the labour markets are governed.
At the end of this one day program, participants will be able to state the pertinent and critical legislation governing Japanese employment, as well as be presented with an overview of the country’s historical, cultural, social and legal contexts within social contracts (e.g. employment) operate.
• To present an overview of the country’s historical, cultural, social and legal contexts within which social contracts, which include employment contracts, operate.
•To highlight the pertinent and critical legislations governing the world of employment in the country.
I. Legal framework.
II. Historical basis.
III. Evolution of labour standards.
• Some unique features
• Influence on social contracts
V. Some key indicators.
VI. The labour market and some statistics.
VII. Key economic indicators.
VIII. Labour Laws - some pertinent issues and legislations such as:
• Labour contract
• Dismissal and legal requirements
• Overtime work
• Regular versus non-regular employment
• Discrimination and redress
• Penalties for violations
IX. Case studies of controversy.
X. Brief overview of Industrial Relations
• Brief history of labour movement
• Governing legislation
• Some pertinent statistics
Who should attend
• HR Managers.
• Anyone who deal with or will be handling HR/employment matters in Japan.
His most recent role as the Head of Regional HR for Asia Pacific has earned him a track record in championing HR leadership in a large multinational consulting firm in a multi-matrix organization. He is also passionate about people development and building high performing teams in his HR global role.
Boyet also possess at least 10 years of experience covering extensively on Japan. In his current HR role, he is still covering Japan. He has lived in Singapore for 7 years as Singapore Permanent Resident, travelling in APAC to cover at least 9 countries.
In 2011, Boyet has obtained a Master’s Degree in Human Resources gained from a top European University. He has Bachelors of Arts Degree in Behavioral Science gained from University of Santo Tomas (Philippines) and an Associate Degree in Philosophy.
• 14 February 2019 (9th Run) - Confirmed
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
• Mandarin Orchard Singapore
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 850 for Community
• S$ 880 for Non-Subscribers
• Skills Connect WDA Reference CRS-N-0031086.
• Skills Future Credit for Self-Sponsored Singaporeans aged 25 and above.
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Past Participants' Comments
• "The content was practical and fulfill the expectations I had on the course."
• "The topics and discussion were really helpful in understanding employment laws in Japan and the Japanese work culture and practices."
Past Participant Organisations
• Ashland Singapore Pte Ltd, Aberdeen Asset Management Asia Ltd, Aeroflex Asia Limited, AETN Asia Pte Ltd, ARA Management Pte Ltd
• Brunel International South East Asia Pte Ltd, Booking.com Singapore
• Covance (Asia) Pte Ltd, Chem-Trend Singapore Pte Ltd, CommScope Solutions Singapore Pte Ltd
• Digital Investment Management Pte Ltd, DEUTZ Asia-Pacific Pte Ltd
• Everett Charles Technologies
• Flexlink Systems Pte Ltd
• Groz-Beckert East Asia LLP
• ICD Security Solutions Pte Ltd
• JDS Uniphase Singapore Pte Ltd, JDA Software Asia Pte Ltd
• Koch Business Solutions - Asia Pacific, Konecranes
• LEGO Singapore, LinkedIn Singapore Pte Ltd
• Mapletree Investments Pte Ltd
• Nutanix Singapore Pte Ltd
• Panasonic Avionics Corporation, PayPal
• Rolls-Royce Singapore Pte Ltd, Redwood Interior Pte Ltd
• Servicenow, SITA Information Networking Computing (Asia Pacific) Pte Ltd, Singapore Tourism Board
• Tata Communications, TripAdvisor Singapore, TriQuint International Pte Ltd
• Zendesk Singapore Pte Ltd