This seminar will provide an overview of the labour laws and HR practices in Korea including labour contracts and dismissal
As the business environment in Europe has deteriorated tremendously and the picture in the United States is also not so sanguine, the focus of global commerce has now shifted to Asia. As the fifteenth largest economy in the world and fourth in Asia, and one of the only two Asian members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) which represents 34 of the most developed nations, Korea is one of the lynchpins of the economic stability in the region.
Korea has undergone many demographic, social, economic and political changes that have direct impact on its business environment, all of which affects the livelihood of its citizens. Therefore, it is timely to look at how employment and the labour markets are governed.
At the end of this one day program, participants will be able to state the pertinent and critical legislation governing Korean employment, as well as be presented with an overview of the country’s historical, cultural, social and legal contexts within social contracts (e.g. employment) operate.
• To present an overview of the country's historical, cultural, social and legal contexts within which social contracts, which include employment contracts, operate.
• To highlight the pertinent and critical legislations governing the world of employment in the country.
I. Legal framework.
II. Historical basis.
III. Evolution of labour standards.
• Some unique features
• Influence on social contracts
V. Some key indicators.
VI. The labour market and some statistics.
VII. Key economic indicators.
VIII. Labour Laws - some pertinent issues and legislations such as:
• Labour contract
• Dismissal and legal requirements
• Overtime work
• Regular versus non-regular employment
• Discrimination and redress
• Penalties for violations
IX. Case studies of controversy.
X. Brief overview of Industrial Relations
•Brief history of labour movement
• Governing legislation
•Some pertinent statistics
• HR Managers.
• Anyone who deal with or will be handling HR/employment matters in Korea.
Phak Sung is currently a management consultant helping companies to setup their HR functions and infrastructures; merge their policies and practices when they acquire companies; trouble shoot if they have organizational effectiveness issues; and design and deliver training or workshops such as cross-cultural communication, team building, strategic planning and change management, corporate governance and ethics, leadership skills etc.
He conducted a ten-day series of workshops for the Royal Bhutan Government's Ministries' Heads of HR in strategic planning, strategic staffing, and corporate governance. He was recently the keynote speaker in a forum on Human Capital Analytics in Manila organized by Assessment Analytics International. His topic was Measuring Human Capital Analytics for Business Growth.
Phak Sung lectured at a local institute in Strategic Planning and Change Management in the graduate diploma and diploma programs in Human Capital Management introducing the first ever Corporate Governance and Ethics program and was the only lecturer for this program. He also lectured on International Human Capital Management and Administrative Management for an Australian university's bachelor's degree programs. Phak Sung is currently one of the trainers for HRSINGAPORE's HR Certification Courses.
Phak Sung holds a Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Economics from California State University, USA.
• 7 June 2018 - 8th Run
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 850 for Community
• S$ 880 for Non-Subscribers
• Skills Connect WDA Reference CRS-N-0031110.
• Skills Future Credit for Self-Sponsored Singaporeans aged 25 and above.
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Past Participants' Comments
• "Thanks for your great training. It was very helpful and wonderful class!" - Natalie Seo, Citrix Systems
Past Participant Organisations
• Aberdeen Asset Management Asia Limited, ABSG Consulting Inc., Adknowledge Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Aeroflex Asia Limited, ARA Asset Management Ltd, Ashland Singapore Pte Ltd, AETN Asia Pte Ltd
• Boeing Singapore, Brunel International South East Asia Pte Ltd, Blackmores International Pte Ltd, Booking.com
• Chem-Trend Singapore Pte Ltd, Citrix Systems Singapore Pte Ltd, CSE-Transtel Pte Ltd, Cityneon Management Services Pte Ltd
• Dematic S.E.A Pte Ltd, DEUTZ Asia-Pacific Pte Ltd.
• Everett Charles Technologies.
• Groz-Beckert East Asia.
• Hansgrohe Pte Ltd, Heidrick & Struggles
• International Enterprise Singapore.
• Koch Business Solutions - Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Mapletree Investments Pte Ltd
• Northern Trust Management Services Asia.
• Oakwell Distribution (S) Pte Ltd, OCBC Bank, Omega Integration Pte Ltd
• Pacific Life Re Limted, PAC Instruments Asia Pte Ltd
• Rolls-Royce Singapore Pte Ltd
• SITA, Svitzer Salvage Asia Pte Ltd, Stahl Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• TripAdvisor Singapore, TriQuint International Pte Ltd
• WD Media (Singapore) Pte Ltd