This seminar will provide an overview of the labour laws and HR practices in Korea including labour contracts and dismissal
As the business environment in Europe has deteriorated tremendously and the picture in the United States is also not so sanguine, the focus of global commerce has now shifted to Asia. As the fifteenth largest economy in the world and fourth in Asia, and one of the only two Asian members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) which represents 34 of the most developed nations, Korea is one of the lynchpins of the economic stability in the region.
Korea has undergone many demographic, social, economic and political changes that have a direct impact on its business environment, all of which affects the livelihood of its citizens. Therefore, it is timely to look at how employment and the labour markets are governed.
At the end of this one day program, participants will be able to state the pertinent and critical laws governing Korean employment, as well as be presented with an overview of the country’s historical, cultural, social and legal environment.
• To present an overview of the country's historical, cultural, social and legal contexts within which social contracts, which include employment contracts, operate.
• To highlight the pertinent and critical legislations governing the world of employment in the country.
• The changing labour landscape with changing political environment.
• The power of the large Chaebols operating in S Korea
I. Legal framework.
II. Historical basis.
III. Evolution of labour standards.
• Some unique features
• Influence on social contracts
V. Some key indicators.
VI. The labour market and some statistics.
VII. Key economic indicators.
VIII. Labour Laws - some pertinent issues and legislations such as:
• Labour contract
• Dismissal and legal requirements
• Overtime work
• Regular versus non-regular employment
• Discrimination and redress
• Penalties for violations
IX. Case studies of controversy.
X. Brief overview of Industrial Relations
• Brief history of labour movement
• Governing legislation
• Some pertinent statistics
Who should attend
• HR Managers.
• Anyone who deal with or will be handling HR/employment matters in Korea.
Adrian Wong has more than 25 years of experience as a Senior Regional HR Professional with many years of experience in diverse industry especially manufacturing, food and beverage, FMCG, Supply Chain, freight and logistics, consultancy and Information, education, financial ratings and research sectors.
Adrian has worked as the Corporate HR Director, Asia Pacific for McGraw Hill Companies, Vice-President HR for EGL Asia Pacific Holdings Company Pte Ltd, Vice-President HR International Division for Japfa International Pte Ltd, Regional HR and Quality Director, Exel Way & QSHE Director for MSAS/Exel/DHL, Personnel Manager for Motorola Electronics and General Motors.
He covers more than 12 countries in Asia Pacific from India to Japan, China and down south to New Zealand. He led HR teams in different countries reporting to him and covers the full spectrum of HR activities: talent acquisition, total rewards, training and development including change management, HR Operations and benefits for the region. His experience covers a number of Mergers and Acquisitions, takeovers, HR workforce restructuring, corporate social responsibility, HR Outsourcing, Employee communications, Industrial and Union negotiation, etc. His training experience includes Corporate Internal Trainer for Management Leadership Programs, leadership programs for First Line managers, Business Development programs, leadership transition programs.
During his work with Exel and McGraw Hill, he travels extensively to South Korea and assist in mergers and acquisition, employee dismissal cases, employee training and also helping the company replace the pension program from a DB to a DC scheme in line with the labour changes at that time. He helps them in the development of the Employee handbook and HR policies.
While he was with the Supply Chain Industry, he has responsibility over Quality, Safety and Environment covering Asia pacific countries and directs ISO Quality certification programs, 1800 safety management and 1400 Environment programs for the group. He also developed the leadership management program jointly with NUS Business Management School for young leaders and covers the Exel Way launch for Asia.
Adrian is a certified DISC and DDI facilitator and was also a part time lecturer for an Australian University for its Bachelor and Masters programs (International Human Resource Management Modules) and a local Institute for its Human Resource Management, Training & Development and Strategic Management programs. He is currently one of the trainers for HRSINGAPORE's HR Certification Courses.
Adrian possess a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) and a Masters of Arts in Human Development. He also possess Diplomas in Management Consultancy, Marketing, Industrial Management, Human Resource, Quality and Production Engineering.
• 28 November 2018 (9th Run)
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 850 for Community
• S$ 880 for Non-Subscribers
• Skills Connect WDA Reference CRS-N-0031110.
• Skills Future Credit for Self-Sponsored Singaporeans aged 25 and above.
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Past Participants' Comments
• "Thanks for your great training. It was very helpful and wonderful class!" - Natalie Seo, Citrix Systems
Past Participant Organisations
• Aberdeen Asset Management Asia Limited, ABSG Consulting Inc., Adknowledge Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Aeroflex Asia Limited, ARA Asset Management Ltd, Ashland Singapore Pte Ltd, AETN Asia Pte Ltd
• Boeing Singapore, Brunel International South East Asia Pte Ltd, Blackmores International Pte Ltd, Booking.com
• Chem-Trend Singapore Pte Ltd, Citrix Systems Singapore Pte Ltd, CSE-Transtel Pte Ltd, Cityneon Management Services Pte Ltd, Criteo
• Dematic S.E.A Pte Ltd, DEUTZ Asia-Pacific Pte Ltd.
• Everett Charles Technologies
• Fluke South East Asia Pte Ltd
• Groz-Beckert East Asia
• Hansgrohe Pte Ltd, Heidrick & Struggles
• International Enterprise Singapore
• Koch Business Solutions - Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Leica Microsystems (SEA) Pte Ltd
• Mapletree Investments Pte Ltd
• Northern Trust Management Services Asia.
• Oakwell Distribution (S) Pte Ltd, OCBC Bank, Omega Integration Pte Ltd
• Pacific Life Re Limted, PAC Instruments Asia Pte Ltd
• Rolls-Royce Singapore Pte Ltd, Redwood Interior Pte Ltd
• SITA, Svitzer Salvage Asia Pte Ltd, Stahl Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, SOFEC Floating Systems Pte Ltd
• TripAdvisor Singapore, TriQuint International Pte Ltd
• WD Media (Singapore) Pte Ltd
• Zwick Asia Pte. Ltd