This HRLAW seminar will provide an overview of the labour laws and HR practises in Malaysia especially the Employment Act and related HR matters.
At the end of this program, participants should have acquired a comprehensive overview of the Employment Act (1955) in Malaysia. On top of that, they should be able to answer questions that employers frequently ask, like:
- Is sacking an employee the same as termination?
- Can an employee be terminated with notice as per his/her contract?
- What is Maternity allowance?
- How much will it cost me to lay-off an employee?
Lastly, they will be briefed about the Minimum Wages Order which was implemented since 1 January 2013.
(Training Venues: In view of the current COVID-19 situation, we will maintain small class size for all our courses. Hotels has taken strict measures such as daily disinfecting of all seminar rooms, cleaning the lift buttons and door knobs, temperature taking for our participants and hand sanitizers are also available)
(Social Distancing: Traditional classroom setting with only ONE participant at each table, with a distance of one metre apart from another. Comfortable seating space at the lunch area. All participants have to wear a mask during the training)
I. The Employment Act 1955
• Objective of the Act
• Purpose of the Act
• Application of the Act
• Contract of/for service
II. Scope & Application of the Act.
III. Contracts of & for Service.
IV. Termination of Employment
• Modes of Termination
• Notice of Termination
• Payment In-Lieu Of Notice
• Breach of Contract
V. Modes & Provisions.
VI. Matters Relating to Wages
• Definition Of Wages
• Time Of Payment
• Deduction of Wages
VII. Protection Accorded to Women (Maternity Protection)
• Maternity Leave
• Maternity Allowance
VIII. Statutory Benefits
• Hours of Work
• Rest Day
• Public Holidays
• Annual Leave
• Sick Leave
• ORP & Payments
IX. Termination & Lay-Off
• Notice Of Termination and Lay-Off
• Payment Of Exclusions
• Reorganization, Redundancy & Retrenchment
• Criteria for Retrenchment
X. Employment of Foreign Employees
XI. Complaints & Enquires – Section 69
XII. Minimum Retirement Age Act 2012 (MRA)
XIII. Minimum Wages Order 2012 (MWO)
• Definition and Eligibility
• Minimum Wage Rates
XIV. Misconduct in Employment (Brief Overview)
• Legal Provisions
• Types of Misconduct in Employment
• Overview of the Employment Act.
• Frequently asked questions.
Who should attend
• HR and Non-HR Directors.
• HR and Non-HR Managers and Executives.
• Anyone who deals with or will be handling HR and employment matters in Malaysia.
Elsie Low is a HR Practitioner with over 25 years of experience. She has specific experience and strength in talent acquisition, human resource development, compensation and benefits development, payroll administration and management, talent management, employee communication and relations. She is a visionary and performance focused professional. Coupled with that, she has excellent business acumen with strong work ethics.
Elsie has worked in various multi-national and local SMEs and in different sectors such as manufacturing, electronics, construction, engineering and oil & gas. Her span of responsibility and experience are spent in various regional and leadership roles across different regions in ASEAN, Australia, China and Middle East.
Elsie graduated with a Bachelor Degree in Human Resource and a MBA in Finance. She is currently one of the trainers for HRSINGAPORE's HR Certification Courses.
Cyril Sen designs and conducts training programmes in Malaysian labour laws, collective bargaining, effective handling of discipline and domestic inquiry procedures, and on the Occupational Safety & Health Act 1994.
Cyril has more than twenty years experience in the labour field, having been involved in collective bargaining for both management and the union. He has worked in the largest electricity generating company in Malaysia for more than thirty years.
His experience includes conducting public programmes, as well as in-house programmes for organisations in Malaysia & Singapore. Cyril also conducts numerous courses on the labour laws for the Malaysia Institute of Human Resource Management (MIHRM) and for the University of Malaya Centre for Continuing Education.
Cyril Sen has an MBA in Training & Human Resource Development and a Diploma in Personnel Management from MIHRM. He is also a National Occupational Safety & Health (NIOSH) qualified Safety & Health Officer and Trainer.
• 4 February 2021 (34th Run)
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
• Hotel seminar room
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 850 for Community
• S$ 880 for Non-Subscribers
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Past Participants' Comments
• "I have learnt a lot on the Malaysia Employment Act. The trainer is friendly and clarified all my doubts effectively!" - Alan Goh, Extra Space Singapore Holdings Pte Ltd
• "The whole course is able to apply to our work" - Kat Chan, Chopard (Asia) Pte Ltd
• "Trainer has good knowledge and was able to share relevant case studies!"
• "Excellent! Trainer is very knowledgeable." - Jolene Loh, Marriott Customer Engagement Centre
• "It was an interactive course and it does help ease the understanding process." - Alicia Kong, CapitaLand
• "Trainer is very trained and experienced. A trainer who is very interactive and willing to answer questions posed."
• "It was all very useful - gave a great general overview!" - Jemma Quarterman, Lewis Public Relations Pte Ltd
• "The trainer shared many of his valuable experiences, which we learned a lot from. His explanations to our queries were very detailed." – Sue Ellen Lopez, Mercer Singapore
• "Cyril Sen is a well-versed trainer with a wealth of industrial knowledge and is still kept up to date with the current development of EA."
• "Trainer is very good." - Ivy Lua, Mondial Assistance Asia Pte Ltd
• "Excellent trainer! His presentation skill is great, able to capture attention, maintain interest and lots of real life examples and case studies that I can apply at work." - Josephine Tan, Pitney Bowes (Asia Pacific) Pte Ltd.
• "The trainer is able to provide an illustration to help participants understand the topic." - Lim Sock Hwang, FMC Technologies Singapore Pte Ltd
• "Interactive and useful materials. Good job!" - Iris Goh, Cortina Watch Pte Ltd
• "The seminar is very well-organized. Trainer and organizer are very helpful and approachable." - Wong Lih Chyun, Kinetics Process Systems
• "Effective Trainer, clear and concise, good examples and gain a lot." - Lim Thou Mui, Swarovski
• "Excellent, Cyril is a good speaker to attract interest and gives real life examples." - Joyce Tia, Litespeed Education
• "I've learned a lot & gained valuable insights. Thanks." - Rose Chua, CapitaLand Commercial
• "Very informative. Excellent communication between trainer & trainee." - Danny Lin, Nizza Recruitment Services Asia
• "Cyril is very knowledgeable in his area of teaching." - Ngoh Joo Lee, J.V. Fitness
• "The Trainer has very good knowledge, able to inject humour during the course & very interactive. Well done." - Shirlene Wong, AIG
• "Cyril Sen is an experienced & knowledgeable on HRLAW of Malaysia. The seminar has been informative." - Jeffrey Low, Hong Leong Asia
• "I appreciate his effort not to teach what is right and what is wrong, but rather to understand the spirit of the law." - Eddy Neo, W R Grace
• "Cyril was able to relate the complex Malaysian HR law in a practical & easily understood manner to trainees. He is a good trainer!" - Cindy Soh, Lintec
• "Very informative & humorous trainer." Phyllis Poh, Sud Chemie
• "Very patient & detailed in his explanation. He tries to provide as many examples as possible to bring a point across." Wasantha West, AAR
• "Both the trainer, as well as the HRSINGAPORE® staff were very attentive to the participants' needs. Cyril has very good time control, able to keep participants interested in the subject." Doria Soh, MCL Land
• "Good advice & tips on practical usage." Kelly Kau, Achieve Limited
• "Very experienced in the laws & guides. Interactive learned a lot from him. Thank you very much, Cyril." Elaine Tang, Ascendas Land
• "Good impressive presenter, able to engage participants. Succeeded in making a topic like the law which is usually very dry, interesting." Jacquline Lee, Ascendas Land
• "Easy to understand especially when I am not from the HR department." Cynthia Goh, Goldheart Jewelry
• "Excellent lecturer & consultant." Chua Kah Tian, Hong Leong
• "Very interactive & informative." Irene Chua, JDS Uniphase
Past Participant Organisations
• 1-Stop Docentre, 8 Bar, AAR, Aberdeen Asset Management, ABR Holdings, ABSG Consulting Inc., Achieva, Admira, AEM Platronics, AEM-TECH Engineers, Aida Stamping Technology, AIG S E Asia, Akzo Nobel Powder Coating, All Nippon Airways, American Dynamics, Applied Materials, ARA Management, Ariba International Singapore, Arkema, Ascendas Land, Aspentech, Avanade Asia, AVI-Tech Electronics, Air Energi Group Singapore, Amazon Web Services Singapore Pte Ltd, APP Systems Services Pte Ltd, Aon Singapore Pte Ltd, Amazon Web Services Indonesia
• Beiersdorf Singapore, Berkeley Books, Bloomberg L.P., Blue Coat Systems Singapore, Boehringer Ingelheim Singapore, BSH Home Appliances, Blackmores International, Burberry (S) Distribution Co. Pte Ltd
• CapitaLand Commercial & Integrated Development, CapitaLand Commercial, CapitaLand Financial, CapitaLand Residential Singapore, Catlin Asia, Celestica Electronics, Certis CISCO Security, CGGVeritas (Veritas Geophysical Apac), CGGVeritas Services (Singapore), Cheung Woh Technologies, Ching Yi Crafting, Ciba Specialty Chemicals, Citibank, City Developments, Coface Services South Asia Pacific, CommScope Solutions, Component Technology, Compuware Asia Pacific, Connor Manufacturing Services, Cortina Watch, Covidien, Cummins- Corporate Recruiting Unit (NE & SE Asia), Cypress Semiconductor, CapitaLand Limited, Cartrack Technologies South East Asia Pte Ltd, C&W Services (S) Pte Ltd, Coherent Singapore Pte Ltd, Chopard (Asia) Pte Ltd
• Daikin, DBS Bank, Deutsche Bank, DMG Mori Seiki South East Asia, Dredging International, Dyna-mac Engineering Services
• Ecquaria Technologies, Ednovation, Enzer Electronics, Epicentre Holdings, Equant, EXE Technologies, Ezra Holdings, Ezra Marine Services, Engro Corporation Limited, Elite International Logistics Singapore Pte Ltd, Extra Space Singapore Holdings Pte Ltd
• F & N Coca-Cola, F&N Foods, Far East Management, Farnell Components, Ferragamo (Singapore), Flextronics Plastics, Flight Focus, FMC Technologies S'pore, FME Onyx, Fujitsu PC, Fluke South East Asia Pte Ltd, FMC Agro Singapore Pte Ltd, Fuji Oil Asia Pte Ltd
• GB Yatch, GE Betz Singapore, GE Pacific, Geoservices, Global Beauty, Goh Joo Hin, Goldbell Corporation, Goldheart Jewelry, Gucci Singapore
• Hetat, Hewlett Packard Singapore, Honeywell, Hong Leong Asia, Horsburgh Engineering, Hudson Highland Group, Hitachi Chemical Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Indochine Winebar & Restaurant, ISI-Dentsu South East Asia, Itochu, Ideal Systems (Singapore) Pte Ltd, IMI Precision Engineering, ICD Security Solutions Pte Ltd, IDEMIA Singapore Pte Ltd
• J.V. Fitness, JDS Uniphase, John Bean Technologies Singapore, Johnson Controls Holding
• Kellogg Brown & Root Asia Pacific, Keppel Logistics, Kinetics Process Systems, Kith Marine & Engineering, Klenco, KLW Holdings, Koki, Kraft Foods, KS Distribution, Kulicke & Soffa, Kumon Asia & Oceania, Kuok (Singapore), KLA-Tencor (S) Pte Ltd
• L3 Communications, LEWIS Public Relations, LexisNexis, Lintec, Litespeed Education, Lucent Technologies, Lucite International Singapore, Luxasia Pte Ltd
• M + Zander, M. Moser Associates, Mapletree Investments, MCL Land, Mercer (Singapore), Miclyn Express Offshore, Mitsui Chemicals Asia Pacific, Modus Media International, Mondial Assistance, Multi-Fineline Electronix, MWH Consultants, MMD Singapore Pte Ltd, Marriott Customer Engagement Centre, Michelin Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Malayan Racing Association, Manulife Singapore Pte Ltd, Molnlycke Health Care Asia-Pacific Pte Ltd, Multi Water Holdings Ltd
• Nagravision, National Oxygen, Nilfisk-Advance, Nizza Recruitment Services Asia, NOKIA, NIIT (USA) Inc. (Singapore Branch)
• O. Mustad & Son, O.B. Singapore Operations, Owens Illinois Plastics, Outdoor Venture
• Pacific Internet (S) Pte Ltd, Pall Filtration, PBI Interstate, Pitney Bowes, Plant Engineering Construction, Pokka International, PRADA Singapore, Premas International, Premiere Conferencing, Professional Software Systems, PSC Engineering, Public Utilities Board, Pacific Life Re Limited, Singapore Branch, PUB
• R E & S Enterprises, Research International Asia, Rockwell Automation, Rolls-Royce Singapore, RTP Company, Rohde & Schwarz Asia Pte Ltd
• Sabic Innovative Plastics Singapore, Sanofi-Aventis, Seagate Technology, Sembawang Engineers & Constructors, Seng Heng Engineering, SF Consulting, Sibelco, Siempelkamp, Sin Soon Huat, Singapore Technologies Logistics, Singapore Telecommunications, Singapore Tourism Board, SingTel, SITA, Stone Apple Solutions, Sud-Chemie, Sumitomo Electric Wintec, Surbana International Consultants, Swarovski Singapore Trading, Swiss Reinsurance Company Ltd, Singapore Branch, Symantec, Syspex, Spencer Ogden, Sembcorp EOSM Pte Ltd, Sibelco Asia Pte Ltd, Sabre Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Seaquest Engineering Pte Ltd, Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
• Taiyo Yuden, TeleChoice International, Teradyne (Asia), The DRx Group, The Hour Glass, The Northern Trust Company Singapore Branch, The Timberland Company, Tien Wah Press, TriQuint International, Tyco Healthcare, The Salvation Army, Tokyo Electron Singapore Pte Ltd
• UNI Strategic, United Engineers, Unisys Singapore Pte Ltd
• Virtual HR, Vistra Corporate Services (SEA), Vitahealth, Vitol Asia Pte Ltd, Vopak Asia, Vopak Terminals Singapore
• W R Grace, Web Professional House, Wilson Parking (Singapore) Pte Ltd
• Yara Asia, YHS (Singapore)