Myanmar also known as Burma was under military rule from 1962 to 2011. A gradual liberalisation process began in 2010 till 2016 when the country finally see a major shift in government. The military-backed government changed hands in early 2016 when Aung San Suu Kyi and her party (NLD) won the majority of the people vote against them.
Since her party took over the office, Myanmar has witnessed many reforms and developments within a very short span of time. One of the major developments was the influx of multi-national corporations (MNCs) setting up businesses in Myanmar, especially in Yangon, the business center of Myanmar, where opportunities are abundance.
However, many old legislations under the military-rule are still hindering the reforms and developments, and one of them is the labour law which will be undergoing an overhaul process soon.
If your organization is already having business or has intention to set up business in Myanmar, then, this 1-day seminar will equip you with the essential knowledge to manage the human resource effectively in Myanmar within the labour legislation and avoiding labor dispute.
(Face-to-face training with safe distancing and precautionary measures undertaken at our hotel venues which are certified SG Clean. We will continue to adopt a small class size for all our courses)
• Gain an understanding of the current facts (key indicators) about Myanmar and its workforce.
• Understand the work culture and the competencies level of the workforce.
• Be aware that there is no single labour law in Myanmar but a few labour legislations that are governing employment of labour.
• Discuss the salient points on some of the labour legislations in relations to employment, salary and benefits, and termination of employees.
• Overview of business environment in Myanmar.
Who should attend
• HR Managers; Assistant HR Managers; Senior HR Executives; HR Administrators; etc.
• Anyone who needs to manage the HR function of a company, representative office or branch in Myanmar.
I. About Myanmar
• The Country
• Its People and Culture
II. Key Indicators About Myanmar
• Economic Indicators
• Labour Market Information
III. Labour Legislations
• The Employment & Skills Development Law
• The Minimum Wage Law & Rule
• The Leave and Holiday Law
• The Payment of Wages Law
IV. Industrial Relations
• The Labour Orgaisation Law
• The Settlement of Labour Disputes Law & Rules
V. Social Security and Taxation
• The Social Security Law and Rule
• Personal Income Tax
VI. Types of Visa
Benefits of Attending This Seminar
• This seminar will benefit the participants has it is intended to give an insight of the current situation in Myanmar in particular on the labour scene and the different legislations governing employment and management of labour in Myanmar.
What questions this training program provides answers to:
This seminar will help to answer some of the following questions many local HR Managers may face when their companies decide to set up business in Myanmar:
I. What visa do I need when I am on a business trip to Myanmar?
II. I need to send a Singaporean to work in our new office in Myanmar. What do I need to know in term of:
• Working permit
• Payment of salary and social security
• Personal income tax
• Provision of benefits
III. I need to employ locals to work in the new office in Myanmar. What do I need to know in term of:
• Employment contract
• Provision of benefits
• Social security and income tax
• Termination, dismissal and retrenchment
Maurice Tan is currently the Managing Director of a consulting firm based in Myanmar which he set up in 2016 focusing on HR services and consultancy to MNCs and local SMEs. Prior to this, Maurice has established himself as a seasoned and strong HR practitioner with more than 30 years of broad-based experience in multi-HR disciplines serving organizations from varied industries.
He has worked with organizations as Head of the HR function responsible for the Asia Pacific region and served as a strategic HR Business Partner to the regional management team. Maurice’s past appointments include careers with iQNECT as Human Resources Director, Advanced Frist Aid Research as Human Resources Director, Tectura Singapore as Human Resources Director, Asia Pacific, and other organizations such as Genesys Conferencing, Sandvik, Cooper Cameron, Molex, etc. His extensive experience covers a variety of industries such as IT, Medical Devices, Engineering, Oil & Gas, FMCG, Electronics, Aerospace, and Construction.
Maurice is well-respected by companies he has worked for being business-focused with high standard and pragmatic approach in his delivery of solutions with consideration to simplicity and cost-effectiveness to achieve positive and sustainable results.
During his past employment, Maurice was an active trainer and has conducted in-house training programs such as Interaction Management, Leadership, Teambuilding, Corporate Governance, Communication, Sales Training, and many more for employees in the company he has worked for. He has also conducted academic programs at a local institute on various Human Resources Management topics such as Compensation & Benefits, Incentives Management, Payroll Administration and Salary Administration.
Maurice holds a Bachelor of Business in Human Resources Management and Advanced Certificate of Training and Assessment and other professional certifications in varied specializations.
• 15 May 2020 (3rd Run) - Suspended
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
• Hotel seminar room
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 918.00 w/GST ($850.00) for Community
• S$ 950.40 w/GST ($880.00) for Non-Subscribers
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Past Participants' Comments
• "Structured and lots of interesting experiences that were discussed at length!"
Past Participant Organisations
• 8 Bar Pte Ltd
• Fullerton Financial Holdings (International) Pte Ltd
• Grohe Pacific
• Ingenico International (S)
• LHN Group
• Quotient TravelPlanner
• Sanli M&E Engineering Pte Ltd
• The Salvation Army
• Woh Hup (Private) Limited, Wilhelmsen Ships Service (S) Pte Ltd