This seminar will equip participants with a comprehensive and practical understanding of Singapore's labour legislations to handle compliance issues
The Employment Act has been Singapore's main legislation governing employment relations. It sets out the basic employment terms and shapes the responsibilities and relationships between employers and employees.
Over the years, the labour laws like the Employment Act have undergone amendments and revisions since its launch. It is therefore important that all those who deal with employment matters in Singapore are familiar with the relevant laws, including any recent changes.
The newspaper reports of bus drivers going on illegal strike and the intervention of the Manpower Minister in the dismissal of pregnant staff without maternity benefits are examples of how failure to handle employment issues properly can result in serious consequences. In many instances, it is the lack of understanding of our employment laws that contribute to the poor handling of the situation by management.
Today, employer-employee relationship has become complex. Therefore, it is crucial that anyone involved in human resource management, employee supervision and management, need to be aware of the interpretations and application of the relevant employment laws.
This two-day program will provide participants with an overview and fundamental understanding of all the labour laws and HR practices in Singapore.
After attending this program, participants will:
• Interpret, apply and comply with the relevant labour laws in Singapore.
• Understand fair employment practices and handle diversity issues to avert discriminative practices at the workplace
• Know the practical steps to manage common grievance and disciplinary issues
• Manage the termination or dismissal process so that there will be no allegations of unfair dismissal
• Learn about legislation that governs employer-union relationships
• Be aware of the various avenues to resolve employment disputes
• Keep up to date with the latest amendments to labour laws and review company human resource policy and practices
I. Introduction To Employment Law In Singapore
• Development of employment legislations
II. The Employment Contract
• Contract of Service or Contract for Services
• Types of Employment Contracts
• Characteristics of an Employment Contract
III. The Employment Act
• Who is covered – who is ‘an employee’, ‘workman’, ‘non-workmen’ and ‘PMEs’
• Key features of the Employment Act
• Rights of an employer and employee
• Payment and deductions of Salary
• Rest days, hours of work, holidays and annual leave
• Maternity and Paternity Leave
• Transfer of employment
• Termination, dismissal and retrenchment
• Some common issues and offences
IV. Trade Unions & Industrial Relations
• Types of trade unions
• Formation & registration of trade unions
• Process of trade union recognition
• Union representation of workers and executives
• Collective bargaining, conciliation and arbitration
V. Handling Employee Grievances & Discipline
• Grievances and disciplinary issues
• Grievance handling procedure
• Progressive discipline procedure
• Disciplinary inquiry process
• Handling dismissal and termination of employee
VI. Work Injury Compensation Act (WICA)
• Scope of coverage
• Accident reporting
• Claims procedure
• Limits of claim and compensation
• WICA vs. common law
VII. Fair Employment Practices (FEP)
• Overview of FEP
• Principles of FEP
• Application of FEP to HR practices
VIII. Retirement & Re-employment Act
• Retirement and extension of re-employment age
• Coverage and exclusion
• Eligibility for re-employment and process
• Terms & benefits on re-employment contract
Who should attend
• HR Directors.
• HR Managers.
• HR Executives.
• Line Managers.
• Front line supervisors (especially from small & medium enterprises-SME).
• Case studies
Othman Marican has more than 30 years of experience as a practitioner in human resource management and industrial relations. He has spent many years in the labour movement and also held senior human resource management positions during his tenure of work.
During the span of his career, he has held several appointments at the national level including being a Member of the NTUC Central Committee, National Wages Council, National Productivity Board (now known as SPRING Singapore), Skills Development Fund Advisory Council. Among others, he has also served as a panel member of the Industrial Arbitration Court.
Othman has been a trainer / lecturer in many varied local training institutions since 1993 and currently serving as member of the board of directors in a community-based professional organisation and chairman of the human resource committee.
• 15 & 16 May 2019 (20th Run)
Duration / Venue
• Two days
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
• Sheraton Towers Singapore Hotel
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 1050 for Community
• S$ 1080 for Non-Subscribers
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Past Participants' Comments
• "The course has been very informative. Trainer delivered in a very effective manner! Great!" - Chua Ing Ing, West UC Singapore
Past Participant Organisations
• 3D Networks Singapore Pte Ltd, A.S.Phoon Pte Ltd, AAM Advisory Pte Ltd, Advanced Micro Devices, Aetos Security Management Pte Ltd, AEW Global Advisors (Asia) Pte Ltd, AFPD, Agency for Science, Technology & Research, Aida Stamping Technology Pte Ltd, Alexander Mann Solutions Ltd, ANZ Bank, Aqua-Terra Oilfield Equipment & Services Pte Ltd, Arcapita, Ascott International Management (2001) Pte Ltd, AsiaPac Distribution Pte Ltd, Autodesk
• Baker Hughes Singapore Pte Ltd, Baldor Electric, Barclays Capital Global Services Singapore Pte Ltd, Baxter Healthcare Pte Ltd, Berkeley Books Pte Ltd, Biosensors International Ltd, Boehringer Ingelheim, Boon Koon Vehicles Pte Ltd, BP Singapore Pte Ltd, British American Tobacco (S), Brunel International SEA, Barclays Services Limited, Singapore Branch, Basler & Hofmann Singapore Pte Ltd, Brown-Forman Worldwide LLC
• CAAS, Cadbury Enterprises Pte Ltd, Cameron (Singapore) Pte Ltd, CapitaLand Commercial & Integrated Development, CapitaLand Commercial, CapRock Communications Indonesia, Cargill International Trading Pte Ltd, CB Richard Ellis, Celestica Electronics (S) Pte Ltd, Central Provident Fund Board, CIAS, CISCO Security, Citibank NA, Comat Training Services, Cooper Cameron (S) Pte Ltd, Coperion Pte Ltd, Courts (Singapore) Pte Ltd, CPG Corporation Pte Ltd
• Daikin, Defence Science & Technology Agency, Deutsche Bank, DIC Alkylphenol Singapore Pte Ltd, DOCOMO interTouch Pte Ltd, Dornier MedTech Asia Pte Ltd, Draka Distribution Singapore Pte Ltd, DSTA, Dover Park Hospice, Driver Trett (Singapore) Pte Ltd
• Eli Lilly (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Emerson Network Power Malaysia Sdn Bhd, Ernst & Young, ETEQ Components Pte Ltd, Europtronic, Evolution Werks Pte Ltd, Excel Precast Pte Ltd, E-Bridge Pre-School Pte Ltd, Ematco Industrial Pte Ltd
• Flextronics Design, Flextronics Plastics (S) Pte Ltd, Forefront Medical Technology Pte Ltd, Frank's Logistic Singapore Pte Ltd, Fremantle Productions, Fulflex Singapore Pte Ltd
• Gas Services International (S) Pte Ltd, GB Yachts Ltd, GE Pacific Pte Ltd, Glen Defense Marine (Asia) Pte Ltd, Global Risk Consultants Pte Ltd, Goodrich Global Pte Ltd, Google, Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel Singapore, Gucci Singapore
• Harry's International Pte Ltd, Herbert Smith, HS Compression & Process Pte Ltd
• ICI Paints (S), IHI Marine Engineering (S) Pte Ltd, Imperial Treasure Restaurant, IMRE, Infineon Technologies, Infocus Systems, Institute of Materials Research and Engineering, InterContinental Singapore, Irisnation Singapore Pte Ltd, ISS Facility Services Pte Ltd, Itochu Singapore Pte Ltd
• J Power Consultancy, JMS Singapore Pte Ltd, John Crane Singapore Pte Ltd, Johns Hopkins Singapore International Medical Centre, Johnson Controls Holding (S) Pte Ltd, Jones Lang LaSalle, JP Management Consulting, Jay Gee Entreprises (Pte) Ltd, JCDecaux Singapore Pte Ltd, Jebsen & Jessen Business Services, Jebsen & Jessen Communications, JMS Singapore Pte Ltd, John Deere Asia (Singapore) Pte Ltd, JT International Tobacco Services (S) Pte Ltd, JTC Corporation
• Keppel Corporation, Keppel Land International, Keppel Shipyard, Keppel Singmarine, Kitagawa Electronics (S) Pte Ltd, KPMG, Kuehne & Nagel, Kulicke & Soffa (S.E.A) Pte Ltd, Kumon Asia & Oceania
• L3 Communications, LASALLE-SIA College, Leo Burnett, Lesus Employment Agency Pte Ltd, Lifepharm Pte Ltd, Lintec, Lubrizol Southeast Asia Pte Ltd, Luxasia Pte Ltd, Lyondell, Lyreco (Singapore) Pte Ltd
• Mabanaft, Maccine Pte Ltd, MacGREGOR Offshore Division, Marakon Associates, Marina Mandarin Singapore, Marshal Technology, Mascot Capsule, Mayer Brown JSM (Singapore) Pte Ltd, McAfee, MCYS, MediaCorp Technologies, MediaRing, Meiji Seika (S) Pte Ltd, MENU Pte. Ltd, Micron Semiconductor, MINDEF, MINDS, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Home Affairs, Mitsubishi UFJ Securities (HK) Holdings, Mitsui & Co. (Asia Pacific), Morrison Express, MTM Publications, Michelin Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Nagravision Asia, National Environment Agency, National Parks Board, National University of Singapore, NEC Computers Malaysia, Nizza Recruitment Services, Noble Denton Singapore, NTUC FairPrice, NUS
• O.B. Singapore Operations, OCBC Bank, Oracle Corporation, Owl International
• P.T. Bank Negara Indonesia (Persero) Tbk Singapore, Poyry Forest Industry, PPD Development, Pratt & Whitney, Prisco, PSA Corporation, Public Utilities Board, Pramerica Financial Asia Headquarters Pte Ltd
• Red Hat, Refco, Republic Polytechnic, RGM International, Riche Monde Sdn Bhd, Ricoh Asia Pacific, Robert Bosch, Rolls-Royce Singapore, Royal Plaza on Scotts, Raffles Medical Group, Redwood Interior, Regency Steel Asia, Republic Polytechnic, Research Instruments, Resource Dynamics, Rhodia Asia Pacific, Robert Walters, Roche Singapore Technical Operations, Rohde & Schwarz Regional HQs Singapore, Roper Southeast Asia LLC, Royal Danish Embassy, RSH (Singapore) Pte Ltd, RGF HR Agent Singapore Pte Ltd
• SAESL, SCCP Payment Services Holdings, Schaeffler (Singapore) Pte Ltd, SCT Technologies Pte Ltd, Seagate Technology, SembCorp Design & Construction, Sembcorp Logistics, SembWaste, Sentosa Beach Resort, Sentosa Resort, Sercel Singapore Pte Ltd, Siltronic Samsung Wafer Pte Ltd, Singapore American School, Singapore Children's Society, Singapore Component, Singapore Information Services, Singapore Oxygen Air Liquide Pte Ltd, Singapore Polytechnic, Singapore Press Holdings, Singapore Saizeriya, SKF Asia Pacific, SmartTrust, SMM, SPRING Singapore, Standard Chartered Bank, Star Cruises, Starsauto, Steelcase Office Solutions (M), Sud-Chemie SEA, Sumitomo Electric Interconnect Products (S) Pte Ltd, Super Coffeemix Manufacturing Ltd, SUT Sakra Pte Ltd, Swarovski Singapore Trading Pte Ltd, Spectris Pte Ltd
• TAC Controls, Temasek Polytechnic, The Royal Bank of Scotland plc, TMS Alliances, TNT Express, Transocean Eastern, Tripartite Centre for Fair Employment, Tritech Engineering & Testing (S), Tyco Fire & Security, The Loco Group Pte Ltd
• Umicore Precious Metals (Singapore) Pte Ltd, United Premas Ltd, United World College
• Ventus Global Pte Ltd, Virtual Associates, Virtual HR Pte Ltd, Vitol Asia, Vopak Terminals Singapore Pte Ltd
• Watkins Syndicate Singapore Pte Ltd, Woh Hup (Private) Limted, Wan Hai International Pte Ltd, West UC Singapore Private Limited
• Xilinx Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Yusen Air & Sea Service (S) Pte Ltd