Gain practical knowledge and skills to confidently manage conflicts, underperformance and misconduct at the workplace. Scroll down for course details.
Conflicts may arise in any organization. These conflicts can cause far-reaching negative effects on the people in your workplace. It can lead to high absenteeism, turnover, poor productivity, and even violence.
Dealing effectively with workplace conflict can bring important issues to light, open lines of communication and strengthen relationships. Conflict can be a catalyst for constructive change.
Underperformance and misconduct should be managed differently. Many employers believe that they can fire an under-performing or misbehaving employee at any time. This is not true at all, and in fact, termination of employment is always a potentially risky situation.
This workshop will provide participants with the practical knowledge and skills to confidently manage conflicts, underperformance and misconduct at the workplace.
At the end of this workshop, you will be able to :
• Analyse common causes of conflict;
• Carry out an assessment and look at ways to handle conflicts constructively;
• Identify performance issues;
• Take effective measures to manage under performance;
• Understand how to manage performance and misconduct effectively;
• Conduct an inquiry in a fair and compliant manner to avoid unnecessary claims on employment
I. Managing Conflict
• Awareness of what conflict is
• Responding to conflict
• Analysing conflict
• Mediation and guidelines for facilitating
• Dealing with unexpected and ongoing conflict
II. Under Performance
• The need to address performance issues
• What is unsatisfactory performance?
• Ways to improve performance shortcomings
• Counselling an underperforming employee
• Difference between under performance or poor performance and misconduct
• Actions to deal with unsatisfactory performance
• Discipline and Grievance Handling
• What is Misconduct?
• Types of Misconduct
• Minor and Major Misconduct
• Disciplinary Actions
• The Inquiry Proceedings
• Termination and Dismissal
• Minimise potential for unfair or wrongful dismissal claims
Who should attend
• HR Executives, HR Manager, Supervisors, Line/People Managers.
Othman Marican has more than 30 years of experience as a practitioner in human resource management and industrial relations. He has spent many years in the labour movement and also held senior human resource management positions during his tenure of work.
During the span of his career, he has held several appointments at the national level including being a Member of the NTUC Central Committee, National Wages Council, National Productivity Board (now known as SPRING Singapore), Skills Development Fund Advisory Council. Among others, he has also served as a panel member of the Industrial Arbitration Court.
Othman has been a trainer / lecturer in many varied local training institutions since 1993 and currently serving as member of the board of directors in a community-based professional organisation and chairman of the human resource committee.
• 24 April 2024 (7th Run)
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5.30 pm
• Hotel seminar room
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 675.80 w/GST (S$620.00) for Community
• S$ 708.50 w/GST (S$650.00) for Non-Subscriber
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Lunch will be provided
Past Participants' Comments
• "Trainer and content is good. Clear explanations and case studies are used as reference" - Nur Sakinah Binte Mohamed Shariff, Euromonitor International (Asia) Pte. Ltd.
• "Useful course that allows me to apply what I have learnt!"
Past Participant Organisations
• Ambition Group Singapore, Acronis Asia Pte Ltd, Aramco Asia Singapore Pte Ltd
• Builders 265
• Cherrybrook Preschool Thomson Pte Ltd, Cyber Security Agency of Singapore
• Euromonitor International (Asia) Pte Ltd, Eagles Mediation & Counselling Centre Ltd, Everbrite Abrasive Pte Ltd
• Golden Energy And Resources Limited, German Institute of Science and Technology – TUM Asia Pte Ltd, Groz-Beckert East Asia LLP
• International School of Phnom Penh, I.Dental Invisible Braces Pte Ltd, InfraCo Asia Development Pte Ltd
• LSH Electrical Engineering, Lam Soon Singapore Pte Ltd
• MUIS, Methodist Welfare Services, Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), Methodist Welfare Services
• NTN Bearing-Singapore
• RGF Talent Solutions Singapore Pte Ltd
• Singapura Finance, ST Electronics (Info-Comm Systems), Singapore (Cambodia) International Academy Co., Ltd, Sew-Eurodrive Pte Ltd, ST Engineering Management Services Pte Ltd, Singapore Health Services Pte Ltd, Sato Kogyo (S) Pte Ltd
• Thye Hua Kwan Moral Charities
• West UC Singapore