During this course, HR practitioners will review and amend their existing HR policies, procedures and rules and align them with PDPA. Please scroll down for course details.
The new "Enhanced Personal Data Protection Act" took effect from 1 February 2021.
The enhancements will strengthen organisational accountability and consumer protection, while giving organisations the confidence to harness personal data for innovation.
With effect from 1 Feb 2021, the main enhancements are:
- Mandatory Data Breach Notification
- Introduction of offences concerning mishandling of personal data by individuals.
- Expansion of consent framework
The PDPA (Personal Data Protection Act) is a data protection law comprising various rules governing the collection, usage, disclosure and protection of personal data. It recognises the rights of an individual to protect their personal data from misuse, including rights to access and correction of personal data.
As HR practitioners often handle and come across employees and job candidates’ personal data, it is critical they understand how the PDPA can affect their work and policies. Thus, HR practitioners need to review and re-evaluate existing HR policies and processes in order to align with the Act.
Key areas of HR functions include Recruitment & Selection, Benefits and Compensation, Training and Development, Employee Relations, Workplace Safety and Health, Compliance and more will have to ensure compliance of the PDPA, if they collect, use and or share employees’/ potential employees’ data.
Though it is essential to utilise these personal data for specific purpose/s, other obligations such as protection and retention must be adhered to. Any breach of the PDPA provision will attract both criminal and or civil action taken against the organisation.
All companies operating in Singapore must comply with the PDPA and demonstrate that it has appointed a Data Protection Officer (DPO) or a DPO team and that they are TRAINED. Participants attending this workshop will receive the Certificates of Attendance as a proof that they have undergone the PDPA training.
• Key obligations of the PDPA and Do Not Call Provisions.
• Key Exemptions of the PDPA.
• Implication of PDPA and HR function.
• Identify and review HR practices/ processes to ensure compliance.
• Develop internal data protection policies and communication plans.
• Introduction to PDPA, Key obligations and DNC registry.
• PDPA exemptions under Schedule 2 of the PDPA.
• Implications of breaching the PDPA
• Roles and responsibilities of HR Managers and Personal Data Protection Officer.
• How to conduct personal data inventory for the HR department and mapping existing processes with PDPA obligations.
• Development of internal data protection policies and conduct staff communication.
• Sample PDPA clauses for HR
• Stricter rules to NRIC - When can we collect, use or disclose NRIC numbers?
• Real case studies relating to PDPA
• Working with third parties and data intermediaries
• Managing data breaches
Who should attend
• HR Managers
• HR Administrators
• HR Executives
• Data Protection Officers
• Those training to be in the HR profession
Leslie Lim stands at the forefront of the fastest moving adult education industry. He spent the past five years transforming the behaviours and mindset of his participants, providing them with a set of attributes to enhance and excel in their undertakings.
Being an assiduous adult educator, Leslie has championed the significance of continuous learning to his consumer customers; he has been awarded top 10 associate trainers by the Singapore Institute of Retail Studies in 2014.
Following his passion in adult education, Leslie embarked onto consultancy work and training in Personal Data Protection Act. Leslie conducts PDPA compliance assessment/ training with businesses, reviews and provides follow up and corrective measures to his clientele to ensure compliance with the PDPA. Managing PDPA compliance is cross functional, and hence Leslie is familiar with processes of HR, Marketing, Operations, Finance, Administration, IT, Facility & Security.
Some of the organisation that has been trained by Leslie include The Polyolefin Company, Sumitomo Groups of Companies, One Degree 15 Marina Club, The Tanglin Club, Laguna Golf & Country Club, Best Denki, Richemont Luxury, The Chevron Club, Raffles Marina Club, Hotel Royal @ Queens, Metta Welfare Association, Sincere Watch Group, C Melchers, A*Star.
Throughout his 9-years tenure with Mobil Oil/ ExxonMobil, Leslie has built a reputation for achieving business objectives, incubating new operational models. Besides meeting sales objectives, he is also primarily responsible for hiring & recruitment, training & development, execution of workplace safety and health policies & procedures and loss prevention system.
Embracing the core values of integrity, innovation, and growth, Leslie is offered the opportunity to move on to the management of Cheers Holding (subsidiary of FairPrice) in 2007. He held the position of Area Manager, where his leadership is further extended to the responsibilities of guidance and supervision of clusters of convenience stores.
Leslie holds a Bachelor of Science (Honours) degree in Entrepreneurship and Management. He has also attained the Advance Certificate in Training and Assessment.
• 13 October 2023 (20th Run) - Confirmed
• 2 February 2024 (21st Run)
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
• Sheraton Towers Singapore
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 669.60 w/GST (S$620.00) for Community
• S$ 702.00 w/GST (S$650.00) for Non-Subscriber
• UTAP Funding is available for NTUC Union Members ($250 or $500 for those aged 40 and above for courses attended between 1 July 2020 to 31 December 2025).
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Lunch will be provided
Past Participants' Comments
• "Very useful knowledge gained today and I have definitely learned a lot! Will be able to apply it to my job!" - Megan Oei, Zoff I Singapore
• "It was interesting!" - Clarice Wong, Portcullis Global Services Pte Ltd
• "Training was very satisfactory. 10/10. Leslie (Trainer) was very engaging and the way he conducted his training was not boring or dry at all. I was very focused throughout"
• "The training is helpful for the HR professionals!"
• "Case studies are good to further explain the topic" - Loy Hui Ping, Total ESP Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• "Very good!" - Subhash Chandar, Laminaar Aviation Infotech Pte Ltd
• "Course content is very related to our function as HR person for our daily work and operation!"
• "The entire scope of the workshop, including the class activity gives me a clear understanding of the topic & my obligation of a HR person. Leslie is extremely engaging and knowledgeable in the topic. Answers questions readily and clearly" - Doreen Wee, Societe Generale
• "Leslie shared real life examples which made it easier to understand and grasp on the topic" - Rohani Ngasiman-Maersk Drilling Holdings SG Pte Ltd
• "Trainer is very knowledgeable to be able to clear our doubts. Informative, easy to understand!" - Jaslyn Lim, Walker Chemicals Pte Ltd
• "The class was really enjoyable. Fun interaction." - Neo Li Ting, Hertel Singapore Pte Ltd
• "Thank you very much Leslie, for making a difficult topic interesting and easier to understand." - Chan Mei Ming, Ang Mo Kio Methodist Church
• "Trainer is very knowledgeable. Able to advise on all scenarios shared during the class."- Felicia See, Home Nursing Foundation
• "Very useful training. Effective trainer!" - Bonnie Sii, Singapore Centre for Chinese Language
• "Leslie has shown his knowledge on this topic which make us more confident in asking him our queries."
• "Leslie is a good trainer. Have a clearer picture of PDPA after the course!"
• "Very useful, trainer very knowledgeable!"
• "Was mentally prepared for a “dry” lesson but was surprisingly fun and engaging with very relevant examples." - Marianne Phua, Bishan Home for the Intellectually Disabled
• "A very useful training program for HR officers. Direct Relevance. Good examples cited!" - Vimala Roy, Parliament of Singapore
Past Participant Organisations
• Asti Holdings Ltd, Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority of Singapore, Alphatron Marine Systems Pte Ltd, Agricultural Bank of China Ltd, Ang Mo Kio Methodist Church, Asahi Kasei Synthetic Rubber Singapore Pte Ltd, ASML Singapore Pte Ltd, ATR Eastern Support Pte Ltd, ARA Management Pte Ltd, Audi Singapore Pte Ltd, APEC Secretariat, AWWA Ltd, Advanced MedTech Corporate Pte Ltd, Assisi Hospice, Academy of Medicine Singapore, ACL Construction (S) Pte Ltd
• Bishan Home for Intellectually Disabled, Brunel International South East Asia Pte Ltd, B. Braun Singapore Pte Ltd, Buddhist Compassion Relief Tzu-Chi Foundation (Singapore)
• Casino Regulatory Authority, CareerBuilder (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Chan Brothers Travel Pte Ltd, CapitaLand Shared Services Pte Ltd, Compass Ltd, Classic Fine Foods (S) Pte Ltd, Chemical Specialties (S) Pte Ltd, Chugai Pharmabody Research Pte Ltd, Chem-Trend Singapore Pte Ltd, Chinese Development Assistance Council, Convergint Singapore Pte Ltd
• Dragages Singapore Pte Ltd, Dredging International Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, DDI-Asia/Pacific International Ltd, Darages Singapore Pte Ltd, Dornier MedTech GmbH
• Eltek Power, Energy Market Authority, Ebi Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd, Enable Consulting Pte Ltd, Evagroup Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Ebel Industries Pte Ltd, Envision Digital International Pte Ltd
• Fitch Ratings, FriarTuck Pte Ltd, Fuji Oil (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Fujitsu Electronics Pacific Asia Limited Singapore Branch
• Goodrich Global Pte Ltd, Gemalto Pte Ltd, Golden Energy And Resources Limited
• Health Promotion Board, Housing & Development Board, Home Nursing Foundation, Hertel Singapore Pte Ltd, HYDRO Systems Singapore LLP, Hwa Chong International School, HAVI Services Pte Ltd
• Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA), IAG (Asia) General Pte Ltd, ITOKI Systems (S) Pte Ltd, Insight Adjusters And Surveyors Pte Ltd, IINO Singapore Pte Ltd
• JERA Asia Pte Ltd
• Karl Storz Endoscopy Asia Marketing Pte Ltd
• LASALLE College of the Arts Limited, Lions Befrienders Service Association (Singapore), Laminaar Aviation Infotech Pte Ltd
• Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura, Mitsubishi Nichiyu Forklift Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Marriott International, Mayer Brown JSM (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Metta School, MSIG Holdings (Asia) Pte Ltd, Maersk Drilling Holdings Singapore Pte Ltd, Murex Southeast Asia Pte Ltd
• National Institute of Education, NTN Bearing-Singapore Pte Ltd, Norstar Ship Management Pte Ltd, Novatek Gas & Power Asia Pte Ltd, Nam Aik Builders Pte Ltd, North London Collegiate School (Singapore)
• Okamoto Singapore Pte Ltd, One Global Property Services (Singapore) Pte Ltd
• Parliament of Singapore, PT. BCCard Asia Pacific, Prada Singapore Pte Ltd, Petro-Diamond Singapore (Pte) Ltd, Prestige Kinetic Pte. Ltd, PM-International Headquarters Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Perdaus, Portcullis Global Services Pte Ltd, Perdaus
• Raffles Girls' School (Secondary), Rohde & Schwarz Asia Pte Ltd, Raffles Quay Asset Management Pte Ltd, RySense Ltd
• Singapore Labour Foundation, Spa Esprit Group, Saipem Singapore Pte Ltd, Sanyo Denki Singapore Pte Ltd, SMC Pneumatics (SEA) Pte Ltd, Singapore Children's Society, Stahl Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Symrise Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Singapore Centre for Chinese Language, Subsea 7 Crewing Services Pte Ltd, Samsung Electro-Mechanics Pte Ltd, Strategic Public Relations Pte Ltd, SH Design & Build Pte Ltd, Societe Generale, Safran Helicopter Engines Asia Pte Ltd, Select Service Partner Singapore Pte Ltd, Singpaore Red Cross Society, SMRT Corporation Ltd, SMRT Trains Ltd, Strategic Eduhub Pte Ltd, Schottel Far East Pte Ltd, Samsung SDS Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Seameo Relc, Sasol Chemicals Pacific Limited, Singapore Shell Employees’ Union Co-operative Ltd, Systems on Silicon Manufacturing Company Pte Ltd
• Teva Pharmaceutical Investments Singapore Pte Ltd, The National University of Singapore Society, Tai Chong Cheang Steamship Co (Singapore) Pte Ltd, The Salvation Army, Tan Tock Seng Hospital Pte Ltd, thyssenkrupp Elevator (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Tourism Australia, Tialoc Singapore Pte Ltd, Total Singapore Shared Services Pte Ltd, Total E&P Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, The Management Corporation Strata Title Plan No 461, TotalEnergies Trading Asia, Tito Isaac & Co LLP
• Unimatec Singapore Pte Ltd, UEMS Solutions Pte Ltd
• Vitol Asia Pte Ltd, Victory Shipping Pte Ltd, Vance Group Ltd
• Wacker Chemicals (South Asia) Pte Ltd, WIKA Instrumentation Pte Ltd
• York Transport Equipment (ASIA) Pte Ltd, Yokohama Rubber Singapore Pte Ltd
• Zwick Asia Pte Ltd, Zoff I Singapore