An employer's legal obligations under the Work Injury Compensation Act
It is the basic responsibility of Employer to keep its work place healthy and safe. However, even with all the prevention measures put in place on-the-job accidents and job related illnesses do happen. The government has mandated that all employees who are under a contract of service or contract of apprenticeship, regardless of salary shall be covered under the WICA. Even you no longer work for the employer or your work pass is canceled, you remain eligible to claim for compensation.
Dependents of an employee who died because of a workplace accident can also make a claim on behalf of the employee. Employers are also liable for the cost of medical treatment received overseas if the accident happened while the employee was working overseas and immediate medical treatment was needed. It is therefore critical for all HR practitioners to help their fellow team members when they get into accident arising out of and in the course of employment to seek Work Injury Compensation. Should HR purchase the insurance from the broker or agent?
During this one day course, participants will acquired a better understanding, as well as state the objectives, coverage and eligibility, of the Work Injury Compensation Act (WICA). They can also identify the various scenarios that are covered or not covered by WICA, as well as be acquainted with the kinds of disputes, details of claims and types of compensation payable under WICA.
What is the responsibility of the company to provide a healthy and safe place? Besides, WICA, this workshop will discuss on Workplace Safety and Health Act (WSHA). Who are the stakeholders and their responsibilities? Does WSHA apply to my company?
In this seminar, the Trainer will be covering the upcoming new changes to the Act which will take effect from 1 September 2020.
(Training Venues: In view of the current COVID-19 situation, we will maintain small class size for all our courses. Hotels has taken strict measures such as daily disinfecting of all seminar rooms, cleaning the lift buttons and door knobs, temperature taking for our participants and hand sanitizers are also available)
(Social Distancing: Traditional classroom setting with only ONE participant at each table, with a distance of one metre apart from another. Comfortable seating space at the lunch area. All participants have to wear a mask during the training)
• Acquire a better understanding of the Work Injury Compensation Act (WICA).
• State the objectives, coverage and eligibility of WICA.
• Identify the various scenarios that are covered and not covered by WICA.
• Know the kinds of disputes, details of claims and the types of compensation payable under WICA.
• Appreciate the differences between WICA and common law and its implications.
• Eligibility for WICA
• Duties of Employers and Employer's Liability
• Purchase from a broker or agent? Difference between a Broker and an Agent
• Incident Reporting - What and When to notify
• Actions to be taken by the employer in the event of a WIC claim.
• Filing objections on WIC claims.
• Different scenarios covered under WICA
• Compensation claim process & medical expenses
• Medical examination and report
• Medical Leave Wages
• Foreign employee's claim
• Checking on status of employee claims.
• Kinds of claims e.g. medical leave, wages, medical expenses.
• Most common types of employee’s injuries
• Types of occupational diseases covered.
• Differences between WICA and Common Law
• Work Injury Compensation Insurance
• Offences and Penalties
• Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) Act
Who should attend
• HR personnel.
• Line Managers and Supervisors involved in people management and Health.
• Safety Officers or any staff with no or little prior knowledge of the Work Injury Compensation Act.
Elsie Low is a HR Practitioner with over 25 years of experience. She has specific experience and strength in talent acquisition, human resource development, compensation and benefits development, payroll administration and management, talent management, employee communication and relations. She is a visionary and performance focused professional. Coupled with that, she has excellent business acumen with strong work ethics.
Elsie has worked in various multi-national and local SMEs and in different sectors such as manufacturing, electronics, construction, engineering and oil & gas. Her span of responsibility and experience are spent in various regional and leadership roles across different regions in ASEAN, Australia, China and Middle East.
Elsie graduated with a Bachelor Degree in Human Resource and a MBA in Finance. She also possesses the Certificate in Workplace Basics from Fairwork Commission Australia. She is currently one of the trainers for HRSINGAPORE's HR Certification Courses.
• Date to be advised (13th Run)
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
• Hotel seminar room
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 650 for Community
• S$ 680 for Non-Subscribers
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Past Participants' Comments
• "Engaging and detailed. Trainer is very experienced!" (Nature Landscapes Pte Ltd)
Past Participant Organisations
• Agricultural Bank Of China, Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR)
• Bishan Home for the Intellectually Disabled, Bright Hill Evergreen Home, Blastech Abrasives Pte Ltd, Bishan Home for the Intellectually Disabled
• Central Provident Fund Board, COSL Drilling Pan-Pacific Ltd, Cummins Asia Pacfic Pte Ltd
• Darul Makmur Mosque
• Hitachi Metals Singapore Pte Ltd, Housing & Development Board
• Koh Brothers Building & Civil Engineering Contractor (Pte.) Ltd, Keppel Shipyard Limited
• InterCall Singapore
• Miltrade Technologies, Ministry of Home Affairs, Ministry of Social and Family Development, Mitsui & Co. (Asia Pacific)
• National Gallery Singapore, Nature Landscapes Pte Ltd
• Pan Pacific Hotel Singapore
• Rolls-Royce Singapore Pte Ltd
• Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board, Singapore Indian Development Association, Socomec Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Transas Marine Pacific Pte Ltd