Providing HR Practitioners with financial knowledge and an understanding of how to use information in financial statements to evaluate the performance of a company.
This course is designed to provide HR Practitioners with a working financial knowledge and develop an understanding of how to use the information in financial statements to evaluate the performance of a company. As successful business partners, HR Practitioners will need to think like business people, know and apply finance knowledge and be accountable and responsible for its budget, HR programmes and processes.
The participants will be guided to focus on the measures and processes used to evaluate the health of a business, how to evaluate the profitability of human capital investments and how to optimise business decisions through break-even analysis. Last, but not least, for some, it will be useful for the participants to see how the financial markets value their own company.
• Know the common accounting jargons and translate these jargons into meaningful concepts.
• Apply the new financial knowledge to evaluate the performance of a company.
• Understand the financial health of companies.
• Know and apply the financial knowledge to HR areas of work such Budgeting, Proposals and New Initiatives, Return on Investments, Performance Management.
The Key Financial Terms and Statements
• What is Balance Sheet
• What is Profit and Loss Account or Income and Expense Statement and Cash Flow Statements
• What do these statements represent
• What are the differences between assets, liabilities, equity, in Balance Sheet
• What are revenue and expenses? What is Profit and what is not
• What is the difference between capitalising and expensing
• What is Depreciation – Straight Line, Reducing Balance. Why do we need Depreciation?
• What is working capital and the working capital cycle
• What is Cash Flows and what does it do
• Do all firms have the same financial statements
• How to use financial statements to detect liquidity issues
• Different Types of Ratios and its Purpose
• Other Performance measures
• Review of financial measures
• What is the difference between fixed and variable costs
• What is the benefit and risk of fixed costs – operating and financial leverage
• What is contribution
• How to calculate breakeven and margin of safety
Know and Apply the Financial Knowledge
• Recording compensation and benefits costs
• Wages and salaries
• Incentive pay
• Benefits costs
• Mandatory benefits
• Welfare benefits
• Retirement plans
• Return on Investment
• Performance Management
Who should attend
• HR Executives, HR Managers and HR Directors who wish to learn about using financial data to make decisions, allocate resources, and budget expenses.
Elsie Low is a HR Practitioner with over 25 years of experience. She has specific experience and strength in talent acquisition, human resource development, compensation and benefits development, payroll administration and management, talent management, employee communication and relations. She is a visionary and performance focused professional. Coupled with that, she has excellent business acumen with strong work ethics.
Elsie has worked in various multi-national and local SMEs and in different sectors such as manufacturing, electronics, construction, engineering and oil & gas. Her span of responsibility and experience are spent in various regional and leadership roles across different regions in ASEAN, Australia, China and Middle East.
Elsie graduated with a Bachelor Degree in Human Resource and a MBA in Finance. She is currently one of the trainers for HRSINGAPORE's HR Certification Courses.
• 17 July 2018 - 2nd Run
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 550 for Community
• S$ 580 for Non-Subscribers
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Buffet lunch with vegetarian & halal options
Past Participants' Comments
Past Participant Organisations
• Amphenol FCI Connectors Singapore Pte Ltd
• Bancosta (Oriente) Pte Ltd
• Multitest Electronic Systems (Asia) Pte Ltd
• Vopak Terminals Singapore Pte Ltd