It is essential that HR and Payroll professionals need to be aware of employment law, its related legislations and practices.
Payroll processing is an essential part of Human Resource’s functions or for some, it is under the purview of Finance. The basic function of payroll still remains the same – compensating employees. But, over the years, payroll has evolved from a fairly straightforward process to a now far more complex function. The main objective of the Payroll Department is still to ensure that employees are paid on time but also, accurately and consistently. Also, the outcome of the Payroll process can constitute a big portion of a company’s cash flow on a monthly basis. One needs to continually review, re-look, revise if necessary to bring about the best practices in running the Payroll System. Also, an efficient and effective payroll system must address an organisation’s objectives, culture and industry.
It is essential that HR and payroll professionals need to be aware of payroll and employment regulations and their related practices. Furthermore, new legislations have put additional pressure on the payroll department and payroll professionals.
(Face-to-face training at our hotel venues which are certified SG Clean)
• Know the Singapore Employment Act and its related Payroll legislations and Regulations.
• Know and Apply the Laws and Regulations when processing Payroll.
• Know the Difference between Compensations and Benefits.
• Know and Adopt some Payroll Best Practices.
Who should attend
• Human Resource & Payroll practitioners who wish to enhance their current payroll knowledge.
Singapore Employment Legislation
I. Singapore Employment Act – Chapter 91
• Who is covered under the Act
• Who is a Workmen & Who is Not
• Part IV of Employment Act
• Key Employment Terms
• Components of Compensation
• Work Pattern and Types of Hours Work
• Treatment of Overtime Hours, Public Holidays and Rest Days
• Treatment of Resignation, Dismissal and Absence Without Official Leave situations
• Types of Benefits: Child Development Co-Savings Act
II. Retirement & Re-Employment Act
• Employment Assistance Payment (EAP)
III. Singapore Wage Credit Scheme
V. Transfer of Employment
VI. Employment (Part-Time Employees) Regulations 2010
• Key Employment Terms
• Computation of Hours Worked for Daily and Hourly Rate Employees
• Computation for Overtime Hours, Public Holidays and Rest Days
VII. Employment of Foreign Manpower Act – Chapter 91A, Section 66B
• Key Employment Terms
• Regulations and Employment Agency Regulatory Framework
• Foreign Worker Levy
• Dependency Ceiling Ratio and Man-Year Entitlement
VIII. Work Injury Compensation Act
• Medical Leave Wages
• Medical Expenses
IX.Central Provident Fund Act
• CPF Contributions
• Workfare Income Supplement
• Skills Development Levy
• Self-Help Group Funds
X. Authorised Pay Deductions
XI. Singapore Income Tax Act
• Resident and Non-Resident
• Self-Help Group Funds
• Taxable Income
• List of Benefits-In-Kind
• Employee Share Option/Employee Share Ownership
• Gratuity, Retrenchment and Retirement Benefits
• Basis of computing Accomodation Benefits, Home Passage and Cars
• Tax Clearance
XII. Employee Records
XIII. Itemised Pay Slips
XIV. Some Payroll Best Practices
• Develop a Clear Monthly Payroll Schedule
• Develop Operational Controls
• Develop Managerial Controls
• Build Effective Reporting and Analytics into the Payroll System
Elsie Low is a HR Practitioner with over 25 years of experience. She has specific experience and strength in talent acquisition, human resource development, compensation and benefits development, payroll administration and management, talent management, employee communication and relations. She is a visionary and performance focused professional. Coupled with that, she has excellent business acumen with strong work ethics.
Elsie has worked in various multi-national and local SMEs and in different sectors such as manufacturing, electronics, construction, engineering and oil & gas. Her span of responsibility and experience are spent in various regional and leadership roles across different regions in ASEAN, Australia, China and Middle East.
Elsie graduated with a Bachelor Degree in Human Resource and a MBA in Finance. She also possesses the Certificate in Workplace Basics from Fairwork Commission Australia. She is currently one of the trainers for HRSINGAPORE's HR Certification Courses.
• 20 April 2023 (14th Run)
Duration / Venue
• One day
• 9 am to 5:30 pm
• Hotel seminar room
A Certificate of Attendance will be awarded at the end of the course.
• S$ 650
• SSG/Skills Future Reference TGS-2021009411.
• For Company Sponsored - Net Payable Fee After SSG Training Grant: S$635
• For Self-Sponsored - SkillsFuture Credit Can Be Used (Singaporeans aged 25 and above).
• Coffee & tea with snacks during the morning and afternoon breaks
• Lunch will be provided
Past Participants' Comments
• "Entire course is beneficial for a HR Executive" - Edric Teo, element14 Pte Ltd
• "All aspects of the course materials were covered perfectly. Elsie (Trainer) is knowledgeable and conducted the training perfectly" - Anne, Ernst & Young
• "Trainer was equipped with robust experience and was able to share advice" - Carissa Koh, Randstad Pte Ltd
• "Great interaction between trainer and trainees. Trainer could answer all questions effectively!" - Katty, Vistra Corporate Services (SEA) Pte. Ltd
Past Participant Organisations
• 1FSS Pte Ltd
• APP Engineering Pte Ltd, ABC Corner Family Restaurant
• BOC Aviation Limited, Baxter Healthcare (Asia) Pte Ltd
• Central Provident Fund Board, Clipper Group (Singapore) Pte Ltd, CapitaLand Shared Services Pte Ltd, Cargo Community Network Pte Ltd, Credit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank, CHawk Technology Int'l (Singapore) Pte Ltd, COMO Pte Ltd
• Digo Corporation Pte Ltd, Dematic Pte Ltd, DSBJ Pte Ltd, Dredging International Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• Engie Services Singapore Pte Ltd, Eastern Pacific Shipping Pte Ltd, Electromech Technologies Pte Ltd, element14 Pte Ltd
• Frasers Property Corporate Services Pte Ltd, Fragomen Singapore Pte Ltd, Far East Management (Private) Limited, First Security & Pte Investigation (S) Pte Ltd, Football Association Of Singapore, Fountain of Youth Pte Ltd
• Goldtech Resources Pte Ltd
• HASSELL Design (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Hoo Huat Engineering Pte Ltd
• ifm electronic Asia Pte Ltd, Intertek Testing Services (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Infineon Technologies (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
• JMV Aluminium Facade Pte Ltd
• Kaer Pte Ltd, Kuehne + Nagel Pte Ltd, Kyocera Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
• LHN Group Pte Ltd, Leong Hup Singapore Pte Ltd, LG Chem Asia Pte Ltd
• MG Engineering Pte Ltd, Mitsubishi Corporation RtM International Pte Ltd, Multico Infracore Holdings Pte Ltd
• National Gallery Singapore, Ng Teng Fong General Hospital (Jurong Health Services), National University Health System Pte Ltd
• Oakwood Premier OUE Singapore
• Panduit Singapore Pte Ltd, PricewaterhouseCoopers CM Services Pte Ltd, Pro-Link Global Singapore Pte Ltd
• Randstad Pte Ltd
• Solvay Specialty Chemicals Asia Pacific Pte Ltd, Spize Pte Ltd, Spectris Pte Ltd, SQL View Pte Ltd, Sam Aluminium Engineering Pte Ltd, Sathya Sai Social Service (Singapore), Systems on Silicon Manufacturing Company Pte Ltd, SG Shipping Private Ltd
• Teck Heng Long Developments Pte Ltd, Toa Corporation
• UEMS Solutions Pte Ltd, Underground Technology Engineering Construction Pte. Ltd.
• Vistra Corporate Services (SEA) Pte. Ltd, VAT Singapore Pte Ltd, Vantage Point Security Pte Ltd